Taking Planes with a baby

In July I'm taking a plane from Eugene Oregon to Seattle Washington.
I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I've never been on one. And I'm also nervous about taking my son on one. He'll be 8 months old by then. And my whole family assures it'll be safe, but I'm just not sure.
What are your thoughts on this? I just need some opinions from women who have taken their children on planes.
Good and Bad experiences.
thank you

LoniRae89

Asked by LoniRae89 at 1:14 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I fly often with my son. He took his first flight at four months old and has flown 4-5 times a year since. It really isn't bad at all. I think the anxiety over his first flight was totally unnessecary. It went fine. He only cried once for about two minutes and so what it was over. People get over it! A few tips, when you are taking off and descending make sure to chew gum yourself and that your baby is either nursing or sucking on a bottle or pacifer *whatever you guys do* the sucking prevents the pressure from hurting your ears. Bring twice as many clothes/diapers as you actually need on the plane just in case. Have snacks handy for yourself. I suggest if you're flying alone to board the plane with your luggage and only take what you need with you. That way there is no hassle of trying to get your luggage at luggage claims it is with you. Its free on most airlines to hold your baby at this age rather than purchasin
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on May. 21, 2009

• his own seat (which is full price!) I found that its actually better when you can hold the baby in a sling or a carrier. They're secure and they are comforted being close to you and won't fuss this way, plus its free. Remember to only bring 2 oz or less bottles of liquid onto the plane (soap/lotion/shampoo not drinks) put them in a ziploc bag and double bag it before you put it in your bag. Its required. If your baby is on formula you can bring the powdered kind but NOT the liquid kind. You cant bring in your own liquids like juice/water so don't bother. You can buy them inside the airport or you can get the free ones they offer on the plane. This is really all you need to know. I was scared the first time and now I actually enjoy flying. Hope this helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Oh yeah one more thing. You will have your carseat/strollers tagged and leave them at the end of the terminal, they load them and have them waiting for you when you get off of the plane. Most airlines do anyway. Hope that helps!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I'll be flying with a 9 month old in July too so I'm glad you asked this!!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:43 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I feel like it's a really tough decision to make MamaChamp.
    I have the choice to drive or fly. But flying is just so much faster....
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 1:51 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I too am flying in July. But I am going to be gone for just over 3 months(my husband is deploying and I am going to stay with my family). My daughter will be 3 months old then and I was wondering what to bring(necessities) and what would be logical to purchase once I got to my destination. And I have actually been trying to find out the policy for the carseat/stroller thing, now I know! Thanks Anon! Great question btw!!!
    MadisonsMom0408

Answer by MadisonsMom0408 at 2:45 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I was on a plane when I was a week old. It's safe as long as you are careful and know what you are doing.
    Make sure to be prepared.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 4:10 AM on May. 21, 2009

• When our son was 3 months old we went to Florida (about a 2 hour plane ride) It was a piece of cake!!!
    Take the stroller with you through the airport and you can leave it at the airplanes door to be stowed underneath the plane. They will have it for you when you get off the plane.
    I held our son during the flight and he was just fine the entire time. We also stowed the carseat underneath as well.
    Just make sure you have everything you need once you are on that plane.
    BSFreeMama

Answer by BSFreeMama at 7:10 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I have been flying since I was a baby. And my 10 month old has been on several planes already and she does fine. Just make sure your baby has a bottle or something to chew on in case it bothers his ears during take off and landing.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 7:54 AM on May. 21, 2009

• i took my daughter on a plane @ 2 months. we didn't have any issues. she slept the whole flight, both times. we just made sure to massage her ears (only because she didn't/doesn't take a paci, and she didn't want to nurse). good luck, sometimes i think it's more of a big deal for us than it is for them. oh, and i was able to bring 4 oz expressed breastmilk in a bottle. the airline told me that breastmilk (or formula) wasn't subject to the fluid restrictions. you may want to check with your airline first though.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 8:33 AM on May. 21, 2009