Should I make him clean the toilet?

My son, 7, has this terrible bathroom habit. He doesn't hold himself first off, but then he will put his hands on the small of his back, arch his back and sway back and forth. As you can imagine, this leads to urine going on the rim and down the sides. I was saying something about making him clean the toilet until he decides to be a bit more careful and my MIL said that was cruel. He is the one making the majority of the mess. I mean, I clean my toilet everyday because there is always some streaks down the sides. The outside, you know. Would you make him clean the toilet until he decides that his "play time" isn't worth it. Yes, we have discussed this with him at length, but he refuses to listen.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:50 AM on May. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• cont

It didn't take too long with him cleaning the toilet for him to stop.

Which, frankly, was probably a good thing, because looking back on it, there really wasn't going to be a good way to enforce the sitting down rule if it didn't, other than maybe ground him if there was pee on the toilet, I guess... I probably shouldn't have said that to him, but the rest of it worked.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:08 AM on May. 21, 2009

• yes, seven is plenty old enough to be helping with chores. Especially if he is the one knowingly making the mess.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:52 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I would make him clean it.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:54 AM on May. 21, 2009

• He does have chores, mostly ones that are somewhat inconsequential so that he can learn without neglecting the important cleanliness issues. And that's what I thought, but like I said, my MIL actually had me second guessing myself. I figured by now he was old enough to be able to use the bathroom without making a huge mess, but then wondered if maybe my expectations were too high. It isn't often that she gets to me, but occasionally she does. Today was just one of those days.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:57 AM on May. 21, 2009

• My ds would do stuff like this. Not quite the same way, but similar problems with "bad aim" so to speak.

I talked to him about it. It didn't help. Then, I went to the next step of having him stand there while I cleaned the toilet and showed him the stained wipes that I was using, explaining that this was his pee that I was having to wipe up, and that it was dirty to pee on the outside of the toilet - he needed to make sure it all went in the pot. That still didn't help.

The next step was I told him that from now on, HE was going to clean the toilet, because he was a big boy and it wasn't right for him to expect other people to want to wipe up his pee mess. I also informed him that if THIS didn't stop it, then the next step was I was going to tell him that he had to pee sitting down to make sure it all went into the pot.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:06 AM on May. 21, 2009

• make him clean the toilet. Ignore your MIL! he made the mess he needs to clean it up it is the only way he will leard that his actions have consequences.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 2:22 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Your mil is wrong. He is definitely old enough to clean the toilet. My 8 & 5 yr old sons love to make a mess, pee on the toilet, splash water out of the bathtub, rub soap all over the counter. They have both been cleaning their entire bathroom for about a year and a half now. I will put any cleaning fluids in for them, to make sure they don't use too much, but they do all the scrubbing. They still make some mess, but not nearly as much as before now that they know they will have to clean it up.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:17 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't make him clean it. But he would get into trouble. Lose his ipod or something next time he does it. But warn him before hand that you're tired of him playing and making the mess.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 6:33 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I'd make him clean it also. Next time he'll think twice about swaying.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:11 AM on May. 21, 2009

• At 7 yeasr old absolutely. Make sure you teach him how to properly clean it and I would be careful about giving him harsh chemicals, but making him wipe down the outside and rim and what not is in no way cruel. Logical consequences work best and taking away an ipod is not really a logical consequence for peeing on the toilet.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:33 AM on May. 21, 2009