What are the best bottles to get just in case breast feeding dont work out for a newborn?

I am going to try to breast feed but just in case i would like to know what bottles are good to use for newborns. it dont have to be name brand but if it is then i would like to know??

etrillo

Asked by etrillo at 3:39 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would like to know as well. I have 2 different bottles.
    One's a Gerber bottle and the other is drop ins something..
    I'm not sure as to I am not due for another 22 days.

I am curious as to what others will advise.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 3:46 AM on May. 21, 2009

• PLAYTEX LINER BOTTLES YOU GET THE AIR OUT MORE AND THE NIPPLES ARE MORE LIKE THE BREAST ....sorry 4 caps didnt knw it was on
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:14 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I used Playtex, then Nuby, then I don't know how many more fancy brands. Get the Gerber bottles, like 6 in a pack for $7 or something ridiculous like that. They are inexpensive, and as long as you pop it out of your baby's mouth a couple of times during a feeding to let the nipple (with three holes, instead of one) regroup, it's fabulous. I tried the drop ins and found that I spend as much time washing the bottle as I would've had it not been a drop in. You still have to clean the nipple... so what's the point? *hug* I wish someone had told me not to worry myself so much about these decisions. Save your money for the big stuff that will make your life truly easier, like strollers, blankets, and toys! =)
    TwinAndTeenMom

Answer by TwinAndTeenMom at 4:15 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I breast fed my DD for the first few weeks, but had to take laxatives once and I didn't want her to get that in her system so I stopped for a couple of days until I knew for sure that it was all out of my system.

ANYWAY, to get to the point, I used regular bottles with a silicone orthodontic nipple because she didn't like the ginormous nipples on the other bottles. She loved the silicone orthodontic and it is supposed to resemble the shape that your nipple would take when it is in her/his mouth.

Really, it all depends on the baby, some babies will take any nipple and others are very picky. I think you can't lose with the orthodontic, because almost all babies like those. But you could just buy one of each that you want to try and see which one the baby likes then buy more when you find out.
    1BlessedRedneck

Answer by 1BlessedRedneck at 4:30 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Yeah, what twinandteenmom said! Stick to the cheap, simple bottles and just get a good nipple!!! like I said, the silicone orthodontics by Nuk and Gerber are awesome!

To me, the drop ins are more aggravation then they are worth!
    1BlessedRedneck

Answer by 1BlessedRedneck at 4:32 AM on May. 21, 2009

• i use NUK bottles.... i was using platex reg ones but the ounces on the side of the bottle wore off, so we got new ones and she loves them.... the nipple is dented so it catches air bubbles and its reduces gas and colic (supposedly, who knows tho) ... but NUK bottles are great.
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 4:51 AM on May. 21, 2009

• We used the Dr. Browns for a while because they were supposed to help with spitting up(DS was projectile vomitting, this was pre diagnosis), they didn't work. I decided to switch to the cheap bottles, he liked the ones that are 96 cents at Wal Mart, they are parents choice brand.
    britngavin

Answer by britngavin at 5:46 AM on May. 21, 2009

• My advice is to NOT have any bottles or any formula on standby at your house - you are 10 times more likely to fail at breastfeeding if you always have it in the back of your mind that you can just give in and bottle feed that quickly.

Do not go into motherhood with a attitude for failure - because you will inevitably fail.

Go into motherhood with a CAN DO attitude - say "I will be breastfeeding, and it will be sucessful" - and you will power through any initial tough times.
    Good luck - and PLEASE do not buy any bottles or formula "just incase".

(Sucessfully still BFing my 19 month old who has never had a bottle or any formula, and I never once considered that breastfeeding might not work.)
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:55 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I don't know what your child will be like, but with mine I got Evenflo slow flow 8 ounce bottles and the flow was really fast. I love the Gerber NUK bottles, although they run $6 each for a 5oz here.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 6:07 AM on May. 21, 2009

• i agree 100% with ladysavage. prepare to SUCCEED!!!
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 6:33 AM on May. 21, 2009