When should you start potty training?

My son is 19 months old...I recently bought him some "big boy" undies to try to start potty training... He went 2 weeks in them and peed in the potty once... I was so proud of him that day, but since he hasn't #1 or #2 in the potty.... Some people say thats too young, but Im just trying to start early so that it doesn't take me till hes 3 if I wait till hes two.... Any help?

angelalexsgirl

Asked by angelalexsgirl at 4:31 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think my mom started potty training me pretty young.
    She also bought me "big girl" panties to make me feel like a big girl.
    I'm not sure how old I was but she said I was pretty young to be potty trained.
    I was pretty fast at it, but she probably just worked her butt off.
    I believe i was 1 and a half - 2 years old? somewhere in there.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 5:10 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Start "pre" training now, take him to the potty every time you go, as soon as he goes in a diaper then put him on the potty. Then after a few weeks, set a kitchen timer for every 20 min. when it dings then its potty time!! Once you start potty traing though it is important to not go back in forth with diapers and undies. It is not too early. I had my DD potty trained at 17 months
    blueyedbadass

Answer by blueyedbadass at 6:15 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Yeah now is not too young. Just consider it the intro phase. My Son was completely trained by two. my grandmother was on my case because we were all trained way before two (oh well). I have tried introducing the potty to my almost 18month old, but unlike her brother she cried and was afraid (no biggie she just isn't ready) You know when your child is ready...but also you have to be ready to teach. Good luck!

MRSnMOTHER

Answer by MRSnMOTHER at 6:19 AM on May. 21, 2009

• when the child is ready
    hannahsmommy321

Answer by hannahsmommy321 at 3:04 PM on May. 21, 2009