How can I teach my son to listen better?

My son is 19 months old and I swear hes going to the terrible 2's early!!!!!!! He will look straight at you and do something he knows hes gonna get in trouble for! Please help....

angelalexsgirl

Asked by angelalexsgirl at 4:33 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try a time out chair. my son is 16 months and I EVEN mention the chair he straightens up. Follow trough with it if you have to...dont tell him "your gonna go to time out chair" and not make him if he continues. GL!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:26 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Lead by example and be patient. Children are a product of you. When they are young they have a short attention span, that is nothing bad. Just redirect him. At this age they learn a lot of cause and effect he is learning how to react, as well as what is wrong and right. You do have to be stern. I personally did not do the time out chair, Eventually it won't work IMO children get to the point where the time out chair is not a punishment but more routine. *My daughter does something that she and I both know is not acceptable, I sternly tell her no, but then lead her to something that she can do* she almost never goes right back to the thing she is not suppose to do right away...eventually maybe , but I just repeat my action. Over all the problem is solved.

MRSnMOTHER

Answer by MRSnMOTHER at 6:00 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Normal behavior (cannot be avoided, as it's a developmental stage) - just keep telling him that he can not do what it is he is doing (throwing food/pulling cat's tail, etc) - and re-direct his attention.

(Got a 19 month old cheeky monkey lady too.)
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 6:01 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I also agree with MRSnMOTHER that time-outs are counter-productive, they will not teach children anything, it's like a miniature jail set up, they are not being taught by example, they are being punished for something they do not feel remourse for, so, time-outs do nothing but delay more bad behavior.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 6:03 AM on May. 21, 2009

• If time outs are done correctly they are very effective. You don't leave the kid in and then just release him. You tell them to do something and they refuse, they go into time out until they are ready to do as they are told...if it takes 30 seconds, great! If it takes 30 minutes, so be it.

If you catch them touching something they shouldn't (not a danger, but maybe a knick-knack you forgot to put out of reach, or he CLIMBED to get (LOL) then you "practice" looking but not touching.

He throws a fit about brushing his teeth before bedtime. Before you start his favorite part of the evening be that reading time or TV, you help him practice getting ready for bed with no fussing. If there is any fussing, he has to start over. Once he has done the entire routine, he gets his TV show or book...then when it's over he does the whole routine for "real".

This behavior modification worked with mine at this age. There's more..
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:10 AM on May. 21, 2009

• ..to it, really but it would take forever and too many posts here. The information I have given is a huge nutshell from my oldest son's psychologist. It worked very well on my younger two. We had to move on to behavior management with my oldest, but he has issues causing more difficulty.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:12 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Set a good example
    lattemom1

Answer by lattemom1 at 12:04 PM on May. 21, 2009