Eating disorder or addicted to exercise?

My husband's cousin who is 25 loves to exercise. She will run on the treadmill for 2 hours "for fun" she tells us and then go run outside for 7 - 8 miles then go to a spinning class later in the evening. Good for her but....

She is VERY thin. Picture: collar bones protruding, ribs very visible when in a bathing suit. She has no body fat from working out but if she gained about 15 pounds she would look great. She has no shape to her just straight up and down. I remember a time where she looked curvier.
Since we do things with the extended family a lot we notice that she is constantly eating bags and bags of candy and junk food and we hardly ever see her eat a real meal at family functions. She always says that she loves that fact that she can eat a 2lb bag of candy in a day and never gain an ounce b/c she runs so much.

Is this normal or should we be concerned?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:49 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• excessive exercise is one sign of being anorexic.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:26 AM on May. 21, 2009

• You should talk to her parents discreetly & tell them ur concerns
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Whooooooooa. Yes she has a problem, in my opinion. Who knows if it's anorexia, bulemia, or a combination of both. Is there anyone else in the family that believes she might have a problem? She needs to get help and fast. While exercise is good, over doing it is bad, and then if she's not eating right on top of that, it's all a strain on her heart. Sorry mama, but I'd let someone else know about this.
    MonkeyMomma07

Answer by MonkeyMomma07 at 8:42 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Ppl think that about me now.I went from a person who doesn't care about exercise or food to a person who will ask the restaurant manager for the nutritional value of the dish I am about to order. Or stand in an aisle at the grocery store reading the label. Yes, I do count my serving peices .And, I stay at the gym 2 hrs a day . I like to run now (used to hate it) and when I am bored before bed, I will do something (either 100 crunches or some squats). I am not anorexic or fear food, I'm just more aware of what i put into my body (i try to be lol).
    I am not underweight. If this girl is underweight, then maybe you should talk to someone about her.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 12:10 PM on May. 21, 2009

• The reason why she is so bone thin is b/c she is burning more calories than she is taking in. The sugar she eats gives her more false and very poor energy, which simply spikes the sugar level in the blood (which is very bad to the pancreas.) So then her body must go straight to the muscle in order to get its energy when the candy is all gone out of the body.

So essentially what she has done is burned up all the muscle. The problem is that when theres not enough muscle to keep the skeleton bound well, and as a female she doesn't get enough vit. D, then her chance of breaking a bone is very very VERY high.

Running does give the body a high. The trainers at my gym do not recommend running as a complete workout or sport. I do interval run/walking, but only as sprints to keep my heart rate up. Running causes so much pounding to the spine that it breaks it down.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:53 PM on May. 21, 2009