My 19month old Jack is pinching. Help

Usually in the evenings he will come over lay his head on my lap. And then he will sit up and place his hands on my arms or legs and pinch. It really hurts. I have tried swating his bottom, I have said no. My husband has even tried telling him to be nice to mommy. The worst part about it is he looks right at you as he is doing it. Any Ideas ? ?

mama32177

Asked by mama32177 at 7:01 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son does this at bedtime too - I think its a sign of frustration because he doesn't want to go to bed - I just pick him up and set him off my lap and say NO NO Pinch - No pinch mommy
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:00 AM on May. 21, 2009

• pinch him back. He may not realize he is hurting you.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:47 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I agree. He has to know how it feels. You don't have to actually hurt him. Just put enough pressure that he is uncomfortable.
    almostcrazee

Answer by almostcrazee at 8:20 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Don't pinch him back - it will only teach him that you condone it, or that it's okay to do back bad things to others who have done wrong.

Apart from that - who pinches their own child - yeesh.

My advice would be to tell him "No, you do not pinch Mommy" in a stern voice - and place him facing away from you. Do nothing after that, don't yell, don't stop him from going somewhere else in the room, and don't stop him from coming back for a cuddle f that's what he wants.
    But if he does it again, do the same thing, tell him it's not okay, and face him away from you on the floor.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 8:30 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Ha..Ha.. That's so funny .I'm going through the same thing w/ my 16 month old twins.They pinch and are now biting too ! I don't think pinching back will work I just keep telling my girls to be nice and rub their hands on my face and say nice Mommy. It's starting to work..Good luck:)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 10:58 AM on May. 21, 2009

• The 3yr old that I watch use to do that.one day I had enough.I waited for him to do it again and then I screamed in pain very loud.I pinched him hard(not enough to leave a mark.just enough that he knew how it felt).It scared the stuffing out of him and he never did it again.He use to leave bruses up and down my legs.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 11:50 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Apart from that - who pinches their own child - yeesh.

I do, and guess what IT DID WORK. She only EVER pinched twice. So up yours lady. I'm so sick of people being all high and mighty. All this new age hippie parenting is BS. Kids are going to end up in the real world someday. Out in the real world if you strike you are struck back. People aren't going to go around saying "Now that wasn't nice sweetie". Give ME a freakin break.

I'm not telling her she's wrong if she DOESN'T want to use my technique, but who the hell are you to criticize me?
    almostcrazee

Answer by almostcrazee at 8:21 AM on May. 22, 2009