Is it typical for a child just turning three to be drawing people?

My daughter, who will be 3 in a week has been drawing pictures of people for about a month now. Of course these are just the "tadpole people" that consist of a circle, limbs coming off, eyes and a mouth. Although last night she did include a picture with hair and a body. But anyway, I don't remember my older daughter doing this and I wonder if this is typical or a bit advanced. Just wondering, if I have a budding artist on my hands!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes it's normal. They like to draw the stick people lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Mine did it. By the time she was 3 1/2 she was drawing people in dimensions. They had arms, legs, fingers, toes or feet with shoes. Since then she has won some kind of art award every year in school. Sounds like maybe you have a little artist on your hands. :)
    almostcrazee

Answer by almostcrazee at 8:23 AM on May. 21, 2009

• None of my kids really started making people until about 3 1/2. My daughter just turned 3 on the 15th and she draws faces, but not bodies.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:52 AM on May. 21, 2009

• My dd is 3 1/2 and has been drawing people since around 3. But not the stick people, she went all out with a head and a body with legs, feet, toes, arms, fingers, hair, ears (she gets upset if she forgets to draw the ears...lol), nose, eyes and a mouth. She's very in depth with it!
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 9:14 AM on May. 21, 2009

• My son has been doing it for awhile, and I know all the other kids in his class are doing it (the pictures are on display in the hallway at school lol) His classmates are 2 1/2-4. Not stick people, two circles with arms and legs type.

Details like hair, glasses, clothes or something to make it look like a specific person are more advanced skills. (so I was told by his evaluators...he did it)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:19 AM on May. 21, 2009

• My 3yo draws people, too. She's been doing it for months (she just turned 3 a month ago). I first noticed around Christmas time. Her people are so cute. She also colors in the lines (when she wants to) and has been doing that since around the time she turned 2 1/2. My 6yo and 7yo still have trouble staying in the lines and my 6yo didn't start drawing people until she was 4 1/2-5 years old.

My oldest started drawing people around 3 1/2 but hers were much more detailed even for stick figures. By the time she turned 4 they had heads, bodies, arms, legs, hands, fingers, faces with eyebrows and lips and makeup, hair, painted nails and there was always an elaborate background. She loves to draw and I encourage it. I got her some books on drawing and her own sketch book. She is 8 1/2 now and sometimes draws her own comics...her main one is Ted the baby T-rex which is hilarious and so cute.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:40 AM on May. 21, 2009

• My son drew spongebob when he was 2 and was drawing stick people. It is normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on May. 21, 2009

• My 2 1/2 year old can so yeah that is average.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:40 AM on May. 21, 2009

• My daughter didn't start until 3.5....so I'd think advanced! It's so cute! Take pictures of her first art and put in a Snapfish book.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:53 PM on May. 21, 2009

• maybe she is seeing people. ya know like dead people..
    I wouldnt put it past the lil ones to see them. they do "live" among us.
    NOT trying to scare you. I saw ghosts at a young age and drew them as well so maybe just maybe
    Anonymous