For moms who breastfed...

what kind of milk do you think is best to give a child after they are done breastfeeding? Soy? Rice? Cow? I can't think of anymore. And also, what kind of milk do you drink?
I swear to all things sacred I'm not trying to be rude. I was always curious because so many women are against cow's milk. We drink soy milk in our house because all of us are lactose intolerant.
If anyone is rude or disrespectful I'll delete your answer. Please don't bash me or anyone else. Thanks!

bethany_smith

Asked by bethany_smith at 7:50 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We all drink whole organic milk. You have to choose what you think is best for your family. Our decisions and only we know what is best for us and it works. I don't know why anyone would bash, but on here you don't need a reason I guess, lol. FYI, IF you want to drink cows milk, they do have it in lactose free.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:59 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I just switched my daughter straight to cows milk once she was done bfing at 15 months.

I don't see why this question would get bashed either... not like it is super controversial or anything........
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 8:01 AM on May. 21, 2009

• well if everyone in your home is lactose intolerant then your child could be too. I would ask the doctor. I gave both my girls cow's milk at a year old or almost a year anyway and I always gave them 2% see with my first DD noone told me what kind to give her so I gave her 2% cause that is what we drink, but with my second DD the new doctor told me to give her whole milk they I guess need whole milk until 2 years, but I thought my first was perfectly fine and healthy on 2% and I didn't want to buy 2 diffrent kinds of milk so I gave her 2% and she is fine and healthy.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:02 AM on May. 21, 2009

• My 19 month old DD is still breastfeeding, but she gets the occasional glass of whole cows milk.
    When she has weaned - which probably won't be very soon, I don't imagine she will have any more cows milk then than she does now, she will get all her nutrition from her food, and most of her liquids from water.

I know a lot of women who extend breastfeeding - and refuse to ever give cows milk, but we use a lot of dairy products in our house, and I like drinking milk too, so that's the choice for us.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 8:26 AM on May. 21, 2009

• If you drink soy, give soy. There's nothing wrong with it. I agree that you should talk to the doctor about the possibility he's lactose intolerant since the rest of you are.

We also gave 2% because that's what we drank and didn't want to buy two different kinds of milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on May. 21, 2009

• To TilmannsGirl
    I've seen some women get real up in arms about giving cow's milk to their kids. I don't know why people get so defensive about their personal choices, I was just making sure no one got rude about other people choices.
    bethany_smith

Answer by bethany_smith at 9:07 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Whole milk. My husband and I drink and use skim, but our son always has whole milk when he isn't getting my milk (still breastfeeding).
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 9:54 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Cows milk for us after we were done Bf..:)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 10:53 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I don't know but I'm thinking that my son would be preferring to taste yogurt. My DH has lactose intolerance. So I don't know. this is a good question. thank you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on May. 21, 2009

• My son was breastfed and when he hit a year he transitioned quite seamlessly to whole milk (cows milk) with no problems!
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 11:01 AM on May. 21, 2009