• In the Spotlight:

kids getting dressed

would you let your kids dress themselves even if it don't match my dd likes to dress her self but can't exactly match her clothes

thanks for you input

lienna

Asked by lienna at 8:14 AM on May. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• absolutely I used to love seeing what my daughter put together. Who cares what people think especially if she is little let her be a kid.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 8:19 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Yep, absolutely!
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:17 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Yes, my daughter's grandfather thinks it's ridiculous but I believe it's expressing herself. She has fun with it and her creativity shines through!!! There is always a time and place when you need to "assist" them but pick and choose your battles :)
    Tis2657

Answer by Tis2657 at 8:44 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I strongly urge him to change something about the outfit and help him pick out clothes that match, teaching him how to properly match clothes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Of course. They are individuals. My 6yo has her own fashion sense. To me she looks like a clown (and i have told her that a couple of times when her outfits have been way out there) but she doesn't care. I just let her be. Luckily she wears a uniform to school so it's not a daily struggle to get her to dress appropriately for school.
    My 3yo's favorite thing to wear is a dress with a skirt or jeans underneath...whatever floats her boat.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:36 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I put the clothes in the dresser as outfits. A shirt with the pants. This way the kids are more apt to pick out something that matches. Occasionally they pick something that doesn't go...and as long as we aren't going somewhere that requires a proper dress...I let them wear it.
    Coaching4kids

Answer by Coaching4kids at 10:17 AM on May. 21, 2009

• One good thing about boys you can mess up jeans and a tshirt!!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:50 AM on May. 21, 2009

• He doesn't usually like to but when he wants to I of course let him. If something is crazy mismatched, I might ask him if he would like to change to match if he says no, then its no biggie. Pick your battles. I will say for something like church or something like that I will pick out his clothes and he is fine with that.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 3:04 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I asked my psychology professor this and she said if it isnt dangerous, then let them do it. It will give them a sense of independance. I let my four year old dress hisself all the time- hes getting better with time but alot of the times he puts his batman suit on.
    adtyka

Answer by adtyka at 6:05 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Sure if you don't mind then it doesn't matter. If you want her to match you can put outfits together and let her pick from maybe 2 or 3 diffrent ones. That way she's still picking out her own clothes and matches.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 7:27 PM on May. 21, 2009