when your baby is crying at an indoor ceremony.....

please get out of the room and put forth a little effort to quiet it down.
last night was my daughters preschool graduation. it was a special milestone in my childs life. people were recording this memory with camcorders. the children were singing songs. but its too bad they will never be heard again, all that will be heard was a crying baby. actually it was more like a 3 year old. my in laws were sitting right in front of it. the entire ceremony was shadowed over by hysterical crying. and what did the parents do? they sat as cool as cucumbers. not even phased. every single person was upset and talking about how selfish it was that the parents didnt even attempt to quiet the kid down. they made the evening so chaotic for everyone. all they had to do was get up, leave the room, and distract the kid or meet the need that was causing such hysteria. they could have returned when the child was quiet. they didnt.
dont ever do this

emilsmama

Asked by emilsmama at 8:22 AM on May. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am the first to jump up and leave the room with my fussy child. It is disappointing to miss things, but that is a sacrifice that I made when I chose to have more than one child. If an event is really-really important for me to not miss and I think my younger ones can't stay quiet I will make other arrangements for them. I can't always do that so they sometimes will go with me, but I won't ruin someone else's experience by letting my child get loud. I'm not surprised by your story though, some people are so selfish that they don't care about being rude like that.....

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:27 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Are you kidding? It's a preschool graduation. Kids cry! I'm sure that parent wanted to see and hear their child too, so why should they have to get up, leave and miss out on their own child? THAT is selfish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on May. 21, 2009

• That is so aggravating. I am sorry to hear that the evening was ruined for so many. Especially the children and those who put on the program. I've been to programs and performances where the evening was damaged by the acting up of an older child or a crying baby. The parents should get the child out of the room and not return until the child is quiet. ( Also the adults attending the program- if you want to talk during the program, then leave the room to carry on your conversation, I had some women sitting behind me at a school concert where my son was playing a solo and the women kept up a steady conversation about personal things during the performances.) One place we attend performances now tells the parents that if their child gets noisy to please take them outside- they word it in a humorous way, of course.

Answer by Bmat at 8:29 AM on May. 21, 2009

• they should have moved the child away from the parents that were trying to hear and video their own children.

It was rude of them to let the child ruin the evening for every one else.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on May. 21, 2009

• "Are you kidding? It's a preschool graduation. Kids cry! I'm sure that parent wanted to see and hear their child too, so why should they have to get up, leave and miss out on their own child? THAT is selfish"

no im not kidding. and to say "kids cry!" is not so accurate. there was only one crying child out of hundreds. it would have taken a minute for the parents to leave the room and get the kid to be quiet. they were selfish because they ruined the night for several families so that they could sit and not miss a thing. we missed everything.
    emilsmama

Answer by emilsmama at 8:33 AM on May. 21, 2009

• one parent should have taken the kid out of there.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 8:39 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I agree that it's frustrting. I've had to distract one or more of my kids during moment's when silence is golden. I know it's hard for a parent to get up and leave with a noisy child especially when you don't want to miss it either. But when you bring young children or babies you should expect outbursts and be prepared. I've taken snacks and the magnetic coloring boards and books to weddings, chirch and funerals. Or I've gone to the back of the room so the kids can fool quietly on the floor without disturbing anyone, too much and that way I get to stay.
    I've also been known to give strangers kids a toy or snack. If a kid is freaking out in a restaurant or store or something I have several thigns in my purse that I use for my kids, things I that hold little or no value and I expect to be lost. I ask the parent's first before I even show anything to the kid. Some parent's are thankful for the distraction, some offended.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:46 AM on May. 21, 2009

• if my kids are fussing and disturbing others we leave right away.
    I have left a grocery cart full of groceries that the manager had to have reshopped. I told the manager I was sorry I would come back another time when my son was in a better mood the manager said no problem he understood. I have done the same in resturants. I have had to have my food boxed up so we could leave and on the way out I made my apologies to the other diners as we made our way out the door.
    I think it is rude and ill mannered for parents to subject other people in a public place with a screaming unhappy child.
    My kids learned early on that Mom will not stand for any crap if you don't listen she WILL follow thru and if that means leaving, then that is what will happen.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:12 AM on May. 21, 2009

• "Are you kidding? It's a preschool graduation. Kids cry! I'm sure that parent wanted to see and hear their child too, so why should they have to get up, leave and miss out on their own child? THAT is selfish. "

Yes kids cry but when you ruin a function for everyone else...then everyone loses out....I find it very funny that you can be so strong in your reaction but do the cowardly think by not even having the guts to have your screen name printed....-anonymous_

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:16 AM on May. 21, 2009

I agree with her.

I would not have left to please others. I am selfish when it comes to that. BUT i would have brought crayons and toys to quiet my child. What does a parent do when they cant leave the room? Like on a plane or something

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:03 AM on May. 21, 2009