How did you change when you became a parent? (Or didn't you change)

**And i mean like , cut off friends ,acted stuck up ,stopped liking the same things , put people down who used to do the SAME things u did ... etc ... **

tha-hawt-mommie

Asked by tha-hawt-mommie at 8:28 AM on May. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• When I was first a mother I was the alpha mom, I could do no wrong and I knew everything. Then my son started growing and I quickly realized I had a lot to learn! I became more patient, weird, dh lost him, could I possibly have stollen his? lol I did grow distant from some friends. I am more careful about who I let around my kids. Some of my old friends just don't have a clue about appropriatness around kids. I shop a lot more! lol and drink so much coffee, love coffee, drinking some right now! I drink more responsibly now, I will drink socially and moderately. I drive faster now too, seem's I'm always running late with 3 little one's to get ready.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:37 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Ummm...I changed, but not like you describe. If anything, I increased my contact with my friends (most of them are older and parents already), focused more on health and nutrition (mine and my son's), changed what I was studying (went from focusing on my faith to focusing on child development), went to church more often, and just tried to learn how to slow down to live life at my son's pace. Still a struggle to go slow, but at least most of the time we are walking together (he's almost 4 now) when he isn't running ahead.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:36 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I didn't. The only real change is that I don't work full time (60-80hours) out of the house any more... I am looking for a PT job just to get me some adult conversation that I'm planning to work about 15 hours a weeks at... Otherwise I earn my income from home. That's really the only thing I have changed...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:57 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Everything changed for me. All my friends became parents at a YOUNG age. Either during or just out of high school. I had my first child at 31. NO one wanted to be around a lady dragging her baby around. I became isolated, depressed, and lonely. Still am, a lot. However, I more than enjoy staying home with my son, watching him grow. When he was first born, I worked full time & went to school Full Time, too. I quit work before he was born, then quit school when we could no longer afford child care without my income.

We made our share of mistakes and hindsight is 20/20, but I don't regret anything. I now have much time to share with my daughter (4) while my boy (6++) is in Kindergarten this year. Next week, I'll have them both full time again and I'm not sure if I'm ready for that...too late to wonder now. I'm looking forward to nature walks as they are a great age for it & I NEED the exercise!!
    SciFantasy

Answer by SciFantasy at 11:48 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I dunno. I've been a mommy since I was about 10, yes 10. My mom wouldn't raise her children so we either had to raise ourselves or depend on our older siblings to do it. I took over and raised my little sisters. I remember being called mommy because my baby sister honestly thought I was since I took care of her.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:45 PM on May. 21, 2009