does being a mother/wife mean I'll never get another uninterupted 8 hours?

I'm so tired, and between my two cats, my husband, and my LO, I haven't had a decent night's sleep in months, barring the random one or two...

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 8:29 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• for one thing what is LO?
    lienna

Answer by lienna at 8:32 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I feel for you! My baby is now 1 year and a month. I am not exaggerating this child has never slept through the night. Then I have 4 other school age kids who need rides places attention 2 cats and a husband. Im tired. I swear if I could go into a hotel and sleep for a whole weekend I would. When it was just my older kids I could even take a nap during the day then my dh wanted a baby! Maybe you could have a family member watch the baby and get sone you time.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 8:34 AM on May. 21, 2009

• if my five years of experience with both is any indication, then yes....unless you are away for the night(or two) for some alone/girls-time...i keep reminding myself that my friend susan was soooo right when she told me, during my preg, that i'd never use the bathroom alone again....true!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:34 AM on May. 21, 2009

• LO=Little One
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:34 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I have two boys ages 2 and 4. I now get plenty of rest and time without them. My husband works 12 to 14 hour days, 6 days a week so how could I possibly get time to myself without hauling them to Grandma's house? My kids go to bed at 7. Since my oldest is really 4 1/2 his bedtime, once school gets out, will be 7:30. They both sleep through the night and are up around 7/7:30 in the morning. It took a little while to get here...just when I was getting here when my oldest was 2, I was having his brother. But neither one were real night owls to begin with. They pretty quickly started sleeping through the night 100% (my oldest at 6 months and my youngest at 8 months). They were semi-co-sleeping (meaning I had a bassinet and they would at times wind up in our bed) and when they started sleeping through the night they went into their own room in their cribs. I've been getting a solid night sleep for over a 1.5 years now....
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 9:07 AM on May. 21, 2009

• It does get better...I promise. Not all children are the same...I just got lucky with easy to sleep kiddos. But, I am glutton for punishment as we are TTC #3. I'm sure #3 will be the one that never sleeps!!
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 9:08 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Welcome to motherhood. I can't go to the bathroom alone ever without someone following me in there. And the baby who is going to be 2 in July looks at me and says, "NASTY! EHHHHH" in a really disgusted tone whenever he sees me partly dressed. Ha.

Someday you can get your own time. I get mine but not often enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I've been without 8 hours sleep for almost 6 years now. I'm lucky if I get 5. Part of it is because my youngest is a restless sleeper...fusses, moves, cries, talks in his sleep. UGH. Part of it is because once I've been awakened, it takes me FOREVER to go to back to sleep.

I get up at 5am so I can have my own time (boys get up between 6-7am) and am usually in bed at 9pm.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:17 AM on May. 21, 2009

• My tot is 20 mos, and sleeps from 9am until 8am, with the occasional wake up in the middle of the night, lately it's been happening more. I'd been trying to ignore it, let him fall back to sleep on his own, but he's been waking up and screaming hysterically, and like the above poster, once I'm up, I'm up, for a while at least. He doesn't take naps, unless he's had a super busy morning, and usually they don't effect his sleeping. I'm not sure what's up with him lately..

And my hubby works nights, so he leaves at 10:40, so I'm up until then (the door wakes me up when he leaves so I might as well stay up and send him off) and then he's home at 7:30, which wakes me up again.. I wish I weren't such a light sleeper.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:22 AM on May. 21, 2009

• it doesn't make you less of a mom if you get additional help. my sister in law and her husband adopted, they are middle aged professionals and they had no idea how much work the boy would be........I was glad they got a mother's helper because it was getting a little tense in there....
    DanaWar

Answer by DanaWar at 9:47 AM on May. 21, 2009