Another one for Pro-Lifers...

Please don't take this as a bash, but it's something that has been bugging me.

I was talking to someone about abortion. And they told me that it's wrong because the soul enters the body at the moment of conseption...

Now, here's what bugs me...

IF you believe that the soul enters the body at conseption and you believe in heaven why would you be upset by abortion? Wouldn't that soul just go to heaven? They would get to skip all the pain, and trouble of life and go straight to be with God. Why's that bad?

Also, if you believe that the soul enters the body at conseption do you believe that IUDs are wrong? Since they many times allow the conseption to take place and then don't allow that egg to implant?

Sorry, two part question... I'm just curious!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:32 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• good question, lady...i never thought about it that way, and am curious, too. i've always assumed that once a life, the soul existed...but that brings us back to 'when does life begin', doesn't it? (i can hear my dh quoting his fave movie line ''the world is gray, jack."--'clear and present danger')
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:41 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Well, for me, I do believe we have a soul from conception. God says in His word that He knew us before He formed us in the womb. We were a person before we were ever conceieved. And, what bothers me about abortion, that being said, is that it's not a natural way to die. The life is literally being stolen from the unborn baby. Miscarriages, still births, those I believe are God's way of taking a baby that might have had something wrong with it. Why does He take some,and not others? Well, we don't know. Once again, we just have to take it on faith,and trust God knows best. As for the IUD's, I don't believe birth control is wrong. I know that's probably shocking. But, I'd much rather a woman use birth control before the pregnancy,than use abortion as her birth control. Hope that explains my views a little bit better.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 8:44 AM on May. 21, 2009

• We've had this discussion in one of my groups before... I can't remember word for word how I explained it, but basically I believe that, as wonderful as heaven is, this life is also a gift, and that it serves a puprose. I also believe that living this life gets us ready for heaven, so children who are aborted don't have the experience or ability to mature spiritually, because they are robbed of the chance.
    Take the question, and insert "neglected or abused children" - that's basically the same concept - we wouldn't go around killing all the poor children who have "miserable" lives just so they could go to heaven and be happy, nor would we say that such a thing is acceptable. It would be the same for an adult - murder/suicide is not an out.
    There is a reason we're here on earth, living our lives, or else He would have created us to be in heaven from the start.
    At least, that's my take on it.
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:49 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I don't know exactly when the spirit enters the body, but I do think it's there by the time a woman knows she's pregnant.

Anyway, about sending innocent babies to heaven. Yeah it's great for them to go the heaven and all, but God wants that decision of what time a person should go up to Him. That's not our decision to make.

What if that child had a very important role to play on this planet as an Adult? What if they're supposed to be a president? Or a Gahndi? We can't know that, but God does.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on May. 21, 2009

• But what if that choice (abortion) IS God's choice? Why is it that we have all these medical advancements (chemo, transplants, blood transfusions, etc) but it is only abortion that is wrong? Why can we, as Christians, suffer the pain of chemo and that is "God's will" but an abortion is not? I have to think that God gave us all our minds for a reason and the same minds that have made other advancements in medicine began abortion as well and God has a reason for that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Good point anon... When someone is murdered they say that God chose them... Or that they are with God, so why couldn't god have a hand in abortion. What if those babies are ones he is choosing and he is working through the mother? In the end ALL death is natural.

And my question about the IUDS wasn't about BC itself. Many forms of BC do not allow conception. However IUDs DO. They permit conception and then deny the embryo to attach to the wall of the uterus. It's not natural. Wouldn't that also be abortion?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:13 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Because the fetus cannot say whether or not they consent to the choice, whereas with other procedures the patient consents. And I don't believe God has a "hand" in murder, or that murdering someone and saying they're "with God" makes it any less of a crime/sin/etc. The point is that the MOTHERS are choosing to abort these babies, not God or the babies themselves. Miscarriages, now THOSE I'll believe God had a hand in, but abortions are taking things into our own hands and "playing God", without respecting the fact that no one is standing up for the rights or the "choice" of the fetus.
    IMO, its all about the ability to consent. That, and consenting to DEATH is something I only agree with in death with dignity like cases, where the patient is terminal and in pain, not just because someone else doesnt' want to deal with them.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:28 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Think about it this way - if we went around "aborting" all of the elderly family members who require our help and care, would that be justifiable? If we "aborted" someone by refusing to give them treatment or allow the doctors to help them, is that justifiable? If life is something we hold sacred, something we respect, something we try to protect and maintain, why would that apply to some and not ALL life?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:31 AM on May. 21, 2009

• oh, and my reasons for being pro-life have nothing to do with religion, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:33 AM on May. 21, 2009

• And my question about the IUDS wasn't about BC itself. Many forms of BC do not allow conception. However IUDs DO. They permit conception and then deny the embryo to attach to the wall of the uterus. It's not natural. Wouldn't that also be abortion?

Actually, much of bc DOES work in this way... making the lining of the uterus too thin for a fertilized egg to attatch. Not just IUD's... which I got pregnant on anyway... and afterward had an abortion. There was a good reason I chose BC with a fail rate of less than 1%... I just happened to be in that less than 1%
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on May. 21, 2009