How can i get my 1 month old to sleep in his crib at night?

My son will not sleep in the crib at night for some reason. he sleeps in it just fine during the day, but at night its a completely different story. i have either been letting him sleep in his swing chair at night or i have to sit in a recliner with him at night in order for him to sleep

junebugg06

Asked by junebugg06 at 8:58 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try some white noise and keep it dark (with a nightlight) and try a sleep positioner. the first night we put my dd in, she screamed for a bit, but you gotta get on a routine and eventually he'll get used to it. for some reason, she likes her head to be right up to the bumper too. she's been in the routine for about 2 weeks now, with no problems...hope this helps, just keep trying
    clransom

Answer by clransom at 9:11 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Maybe he has reflux, since he is only sleeping at night at an angle.
    This is what I would try. Nice tight swaddle to make him all snugglie, put a pillow under his crib matress to put it at an angle, take another think blanket and make a roll and make it into a "U" shape use this to keep him from sliding down his crib and also to make him feel snug... use it like a little nest, the bottom of the "U" around his butt.
    Also, when you lie him down in his crub if he fusses don't pink him up right away... try to soothe him first, give him a pacifier or finger to suck, pat his belly, rub his head...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:20 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Get in there with him! ;)
    carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 10:07 AM on May. 21, 2009

• One month is very young. Most babies don't feel secure enough in the crib at that age. My DD didn't sleep in her crib until 3-4 months. We had a moses basket and sometimes she slept in her bouncy chair. Whatever works at that stage is okay :) Don't worry about forming bad habits--our daughter is a yr old and sleeps 12 hrs in her crib every night even though we did some creative things to get her to sleep as a newborn!
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 10:36 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Have you tried a bassinet? My son slept in a bassinet next to our bed for the first 2 months. I was BFing so it made that easier, but also the bassinet is smaller and a little cozier for them. Maybe try that and wait on the crib.
    My son was sleeping in his crib at 2 months though and did great. And started sleeping through the night soon after that =]
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 1:30 PM on May. 21, 2009

• My daughter didn't sleep in her crib till about 8 weeks. She slept with us b/c she would scream her head off for hours. I got her to nap in the crib and then transitioned into the night. We keep a nightlight on so she's not scared. I used some white noise music but it turns out that it didnt' help her very much. She still gets up quite a bit (she's only 11 weeks) but she sleeps in her crib. We have a routine every night. I bathe her, read to her, and then rock her to sleep. I wish I didn't have to rock her every night but I know this won't last long and since I work full-time now, I see it as my chance to be with her. Sometmes I'll put her down and she'll wake up right away so I have to rock her again. Keep doing it until he stays asleep. He'll get used to it, but 4 weeks is pretty young still.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:33 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Neither of my kids slept in their crib til they were around 5 months old but my sister just went through this with her 2 month old and the dr told her to put a peice of her clothing underneath him in the crib (shirt or nightgown) something that she has worn with her scent on it to comfort him. she got an oversized shirt...wore it for a day then put it in the crib and tucked the sides down under the mattess (reason for the oversized shirt) layed him on it and she said he slept for 7 hours all by himself the 1st night. Its been almost 2 weeks and no problems so far. Just make sure its big enough to secure under the mattress so they cant get it around their face or anything.
    Vsoul0608

Answer by Vsoul0608 at 2:32 PM on May. 21, 2009