Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do you think of the family who letting their 13 yr old refuse chemo? heres the article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_he_me/us_med_forced_chemo
this hits close to home for 2 reasons: my mother has hodgkins and it is a minneapolis mn boy.. i live in the neibghoring city st paul... i think this is dumb and the parents are WRONG!

Answer Question
 
JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 9:07 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 10 (419 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • It is a sad story. I don't understand the mothers reasoning.

    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on May. 21, 2009

  • I think they are very misinformed twits. But they obviously dont' care whether their child lives or dies.
    Zakysmommy

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:42 AM on May. 21, 2009

  • If a 13 year old girl can get an abortion without parental interference, then a 13 year old boy should be able to refuse chemo without governement interference.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on May. 21, 2009

  • I had chemo when I was a teen. I'm glad I did, too. It was my choice, and my parents gave me that choice. This boy should have the choice, too.
    Jynx1978

    Answer by Jynx1978 at 10:22 AM on May. 21, 2009

  • I hope they make it out of the country. I think it is sad they have to run. It is his body he should be able to choose. My aunt at 13 was able to choose an abortion. She nearly died from the abortion since the doctor who supposedly gave safe and legal ones screwed hers up. She was left sterile which is always a possiblity and in the hospital for a month on life support. If she can make a choice like that why can't this child be allowed the same choice. I guess the only people who have a choice are those who wish to murder the unborn. We are told we have to vaccinate our children. We have to wear seatbelts. We have to wear helmets. All are smart to do but should not be legislated or mandatory.

    There was a girl who died not too long ago. She was denied care by her insurance and the hospital since treatment was so expensive. Where were the courts then? We all are supposed to be free. Run momma run.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on May. 21, 2009

  • I agree with him having the choice of having the chemo or not. But I as a parent would be encouraging him to try the chemo because it was shown that the tumor shrank a bit after the initial treatment but grew once he stopped treatment. I'm sorry, but if doctors told me my child would likely die without the chemo, I would want them to try it. I do understand that the chemo makes you feel a lot worse than just the cancer itself does, but a kid at that age is not going to understand what the medicine is doing is actually helping when it makes them feel so bad.

    However, if he tried chemo for a while and just couldn't handle it, then I would allow him to stop taking it or if its not really helping because I wouldn't want him to live the last part of his life being sick from the chemo. But according to the articles, this cancer is highly curable with chemo so I would definitely push for it.
    AprilDJC

    Answer by AprilDJC at 11:04 AM on May. 21, 2009

  • personally I feel the gov. is crossing a line. I WOULD NOT do what the parents are doing, I would find any treatment that would giv emy child a chance at life..however, due to their religious beliefs, the government needs to butt out.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on May. 21, 2009

  • I personally believe the choice should be left to the parents and the teen, and that government should stay out of it.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on May. 21, 2009

  • It is their parental right - the government has to butt out of our lives at some point. They are not abusing him - I think an adult would be allowed to refuse treatment, why not a 13 yr old?
    toastmama

    Answer by toastmama at 11:41 AM on May. 21, 2009

  • The 13 yr old has no idea what he is refusing to start with . If you saw someone beating their child to death I bet you would not say they have the right to do what they want. This child is being killed by not having the chemo. There is a 95% chance of survival with the chemo and a 5% chance without. It's the same thing in slow motion. The parents are neglecting and even abusing that child by letting him die.
    itsmesteph11

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:47 PM on May. 21, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.