Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where can a family go if the financial strain results in homelessness?

Me & my 3 kids are about to be kicked of my sis-n-laws house. We need help.(contacts, advice, job) My sorry husband can't keep a job, we got evicted in October, I got fired in December, my ex-boss is fighting my unemployment benefits. I worked at that damn place for 3 years, 7 months, 6 days and 5 hours!!!We recieve food stamps, but now we're going to be homeless. I don't know what to do. My husband is no help at all. I'm thinking about leaving him. And all this just when my daughter is about to graduate pre-k and my oldest son is almost done with school for the year. Someone, please help me find a place to go, offer advice, provide contacts, give me a damn job even. I cannot count on my husband who hasn't had neither kept a job in 5 years. So, I guess it's up to "SUPERMOM". Oh, and if that's not enough, my birthday is Saturday, my oldest sons birthday is next Thursday. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Answer Question

Asked by Mommy4eva27 at 9:17 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • I feel for you. It really depends on the area you live in some have great programs some have none. I have worked in the social service field before I started staying home. If you email me and tell me your area I can do some research. I can also give you some advice that I dont want to put on here.

    Answer by okmommy08 at 9:19 AM on May. 21, 2009

  • idk if you would be against this , but go to the local assistance office and the office that does wic ... assistance would give you cash , and the office at wic helps w/ living arrangements ... idk how it works i never did it , but i have things written down bc u never kno when ull need them!

    and no matter what your sons going to have a great bday bc of a mom like you!!! if he understands love is more imprtant than anything , shower him w/ love and he'll be greatful!!!!

    Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 9:27 AM on May. 21, 2009

  • There are many social services agencies around who should be able to help you. If you don't know of any in your area, a synagogue, mosque, church, hospital, Red Cross, Salvation Army or police or fire department will be able to point you in the right direction.
    Best of luck to you and your family.

    Answer by rkoloms at 10:23 AM on May. 21, 2009

  • I would drop the loser husband. Continue to fight for your unemployment. Unless you were fired for theft or for gross misconduct you should get it. I have even seen those people get unemployment. Go to a woman's shelter they have services there that can help you get on your feet. Do all you can since being homeless is a reason you could lose your children. I am sorry you are in this spot. Only you can change it by fighting for your kids and doing what is necessary. You have to make many calls till you get a hold of someone who can help you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on May. 21, 2009

  • Why is your sis-in-law kicking you out? Are you supposed to be paying rent to her? I would go to your local DSHS (social services) office and ask them what they can do to help you. Also, you can check with WIC I am not sure that they do housing, but I am on it and they can at least give you more food for your kids. Here's a link to HUD for you too, hope some of this helps you. Oh and in my opinion if hubby is not concerned enough about this situation to get up off his butt and get a job, you are better off without him. Go find any job you can, go to Wal-mart, K-mart, McDonalds, anything. You can get assistance for child care too if you are working full time. Good luck!


    Answer by AprilDJC at 12:08 PM on May. 21, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.