Have You Ever Relocated To A Different State?

My husband and I are considering relocating, I have a few questions for those who have relocated in the past. How far did you move? Approximately how much did it cost you to make the move? Any advice to a family considering relocating?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• I have moved several times. You move as far as you want and the price depends on the truck you get, if you hire movers, if your hauling vehicles, if you using storage, if your renting or buying a place. Movers can cost up to $3000 depending on the family size as they usually charge $150 to $300 an hour to pack your home. Then the truck fee's, gas and insurance can be another $1500 or more. It will cost around $5000 for a successful move and that could be including a deposit for a place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I relocated from Illinois to Dallas when I was in 8th grade. I know it was an adjustment for all of us. We went from private school small town to public school in a large suburb. It was difficult and I know my parents let us have going away parties, they took us on special trips to dallas to look at houses and see the schools. On the drive to move we stopped alot of interesting places making it an "adventure". I was one of 4 children. I am glad we made the move. It was something we had alot of family discussions about and my parents really respected our feelings and showed us opportunitites we would have. I got to visit my old friends about once a year and I have great friends in both areas now. The drive was 12 hours.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:24 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I moved from MI to NC, then back again when my husband got out of the military. It was a 19 hour trip. It was cheaper for us to move ourselves than hire movers. I picked up free boxes from stores like Walmart, Dollar General and our local grocery store. My neighbors saved newspapers for weeks so I could wrap breakables. I can't remember the exact amounts$400 for truck and gas for the rental truck & my truck towing my husband's with a tow bar was at least $500 (gas was around $3.00) We packed coolers so we didn't spend eating out. Call for pricing on different size trucks, ask for discounts if you belong to AAA or are military. It was more of a hassle preparing to move, than the actual move. Forward mail, shutting services off, turning things on at the new house, getting copies of vital documents from the courthouse. Just write a good list & do a little at a time.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:36 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Depending on how far you are moving and how much time and work you are willing to dedicate, you can move yourself for less than you can hire someone to do it. We moved ourselves to 2 of our stations when we moved with the Air Force. Rent a U Haul. To figure out how much you will need to spend on it, go to the UHaul website and decide which size truck you will need then figure on how long it will take you to make the drive and add another 2 days to that, that is how long you will need to estimate having the truck. You can get boxes and packing materials for free at local stores or if you live near a military base, advertise that you are looking for boxes because there are always people moving in who are looking to get rid of the boxes. It took me about a week to totally pack our house this last time, and I don't trust movers to pack our stuff because when they did things got broken. Then figure on gas and food for the trip!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:50 AM on May. 21, 2009

• LOL... I have moved from Florida to PA.. back to FL to Cali and back to FL and just recently moved from FL to NY. I can not really give you a good guess as to how much it would cost you to move. My circumstances are probably much diff. I drove each time I moved and i drive a Honda.. so gas was cheap! I also was able to pack all my stuff in my car and have room for my son as well. I can give you a few pointers should you need to get a hotel room.. do it on priceline.com and bid your own price. i always put for a 3star and put down $30/night and always end up staing in the Holiday inn.
    markayda3

Answer by markayda3 at 4:12 PM on May. 21, 2009