Atkins?

I'm thinking about trying the Atkins diet for a while because losing the baby weight is extremely difficult and I feel very bad about myself to the point where I had to take down the mirror in my bathroom, but that is a different story. I need to find something that works and excercising while eating only "helathy" foods, and counting calories is not working, so I wanted to know if anyone has had luck on the Atkins diet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I would never do the Atkins diet. It promotes unhealthy eating habits by avoiding ALL carbs while scarfing down unhealthy fats. My uncle had a history of heart disease in his family, so 10 1/2 years ago he decided to lose about 20 lbs. and stay healthy as he could. He started the Atkins diet and was dead within 6 months. Now, while I'm not blaming the Atkins diet, I do believe the unhealthy eating habits contributed to his death from a massive coronary. He had had no health problems until then.

I am diabetic and I started the South Beach diet almost 6 weeks ago. My doctor approved it. It promotes cutting back on the carbs but not totally eliminating them, and it emphasizes the consumption of high fiber foods, healthy fats, lean meats, loads of veggies and HEALTHY carbs found in natural foods like fresh fruit, nonfat yogurt and skim milk. Since I started the diet I have lost 9 lbs and about 7 inches from my waist.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:29 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Atkins, in my opinion, is not a good option. I would like to know what healthy foods you've tried and if your exercise is efficient and substantial enough. I know, body chemistries differ, but Atkins never worked for me; eating lots of fresh veggies and fruits, lean protein, no diet soda, only wanter and plenty of efficient cardio and weight training took 130 pounds off me in 2 years.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:36 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Please do not try Atkins. It's bad!

Weight Watchers is the way to go!
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 10:19 AM on May. 21, 2009

• When you go on a diet, or use a diet aid, you are just putting yourself on the gain/loss rollercoaster; frustrating for you, & hard on your body. You will never learn portion control with Atkins. In order to maintain a healthy weight, you need to have a healthy lifestyle; this has the added bonus of setting a great example for your kids.
    First, start walking; at least 20 min a day at least 3 times a week. Next, drink your water! at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Next, eat your fruits & veggies! 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors. Eat your whole grains (loaded with fiber, protein, and lots of energy-giving nutrients), 7 servings a day. Cut way back on (or eliminate) meat & dairy. Add beans, lentils & tofu to your diet. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html .Feel free to ask me any questions. -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 10:55 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I'm not certain why so many people would be so against the Atkins diet. I was trained for almost 20 years by the oldest pract. pediatrician in the world (who is still living at the age of 113 yo!) and she would not have had a problem with this diet. My husband and myself have been using it for almost 2 months and have lost beautifully with it.

It is work, and it was developed by a heart doctor. You have to do the research yourself. Personally, I wouldn't do the south beach diet. But then again, someone else will say it worked for them. You have to do your own research and learn what the human body needs to work well and how to keep it healthy.

My family eats very well, we feel very well, and I look better than I have in many many years. :) Any special diet you do will be work and you have to make a commitment. Just don't choose something strange or unusual.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:48 PM on May. 21, 2009