Why do people think that only black people use slang?

I've seen a few question on here very recently that either imply that only black people use slang or that have a whole slew of answers that imply it. What the heck? PEOPLE use slang regardless of race! So what's up with this assumption?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Quinn I think you're right. Slang belongs mostly to the youth, not to any one race.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:41 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Um, this person doesn't
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:35 AM on May. 21, 2009

• My guess is that there are probably a lot of anon responses in the questions you are referring to. I hear slang from all types, but mostly from the teenage crowd. I wouldn't group them according to ethnicity though. More of an age group. And as for why the age group, because they can get away with it when they aren't having to compete in a professional atmosphere.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:38 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Living in NC- I know that is not the case. Ive seen many young people of all races use slang or Ebonics, ive also seen a few elderly people use it as well. I think people just assume because its one of those "black stereotypes". Honestly, I dont care who uses it- its annoying no matter whose mouth its coming out of.

BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:46 AM on May. 21, 2009

• IN MY OPINION I think its because they're older ... Older people HERE WHERE IM FROM think its the "younger , black kids" ... lol its funny when things would happen when i lived w/ my dad , the neighbors would be like "it was a few black kids who did it!!!" and id sit on the porch and laugh because it wasnt always , they just assumed bc of what happened lol ... anyhoo , i think its mostly older people who don't use it who think its only black people who use it , i being 22 and from an all black school mostly ... think different ...
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 9:47 AM on May. 21, 2009

• LOL You're right. I'm from Texas, and half of my family and friends sound like Boomhauer from King of the Hill.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 9:47 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I think some people just like to focus on the negative when it comes to black people. Whether its slang or any other negative stereotype, its easier to target another race than your own. The same way a parent judges another parent without taking a look in the mirror and see that they too do things that are not perfect. KWIM?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on May. 21, 2009

• whachu talkin bout Willis?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I was just thinking the same thing. Unless you know a great deal of black people you may tend to lean in agreement with what you see on TV, movies, read on the internet and so on. Many of us use slang or other forms of speach just like any other race and or culture. However, I would no more think all black people spoke that way just as I would think that all people who move here from India open up 7-11 stores. It's a streotype and while many streotypes have some thruth to them not all are fit each and every person in that group.

To me streotypes are funny. When people assume things about me based on streotypes and I know that it's not true I love going out of my way to prove them wrong. I'm colored and I approve this message.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:56 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Hispanics have slang, cowboys have slang, bikers have slang.... All sorts of groups. Eventually parts of it become acceptable parts of American speech. *shrug*
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:56 AM on May. 21, 2009