His ear is bright red.

My MIL noticed that a small section of my little mans ear was red yesterday, this was at about 5. Last night when I got up to use the bathroom he said our son was complaining about it before bed, and now his ear is entirely red and hot to the touch. I haven't called the dr yet...any ideas on what it is? Could it be a bug bite maybe?

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 9:47 AM on May. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• i would say bug bite give him some benadryl and see of it helps, my son swells where he is bitten by mosquitoes, it sucks poor guy.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:31 AM on May. 21, 2009

• could be a bug bite, could be an ear infection..call his pedi. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:50 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I'd call...but I can't seem to find my damned phone.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:57 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I'm no doctor for sure, but just by putting the symptoms into the symptom checker on www.webmd.com, it sounds like it COULD be cellulitis. It may need antibiotics if it is. I know that redness and warmth to the touch can often mean an infection, so he should go to the doctor today. Here is the link to what I found on cellulitis:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/cellulitis-topic-overview

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:08 AM on May. 21, 2009

• i am a nurse and this could be serious so call your doctor and make an apt soon as possible.. if it is red and if it is warm that mean it has fever in it so he is probably getting an ear infection or sick. call and let me know
    NewLady1

Answer by NewLady1 at 10:09 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Sounds like it could be an ear infection. Often with my boys get them their ears get red...that's how I know to call and get ear drops for them. We don't bother going in to the doctor anymore, and neither can take antibiotics anymore...they've had them way too much already. My oldest (4 1/5 yo) has had 3 sets of tubes and too many to count ear infections and my youngest (2 yo) has had one set of tubes and also too many to count ear infections. Good luck! I hope it's really just nothing, but if it is bothering him then definitely take him to the doctor.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 10:36 AM on May. 21, 2009

• It's a mosquito bite. Finally found the little white bump in the middle of it....I think he must have really sensitive skin like me because when I get bbit it swells up like that too. Thanks everyone!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:43 AM on May. 21, 2009