@ the park Is It OK for the toddler to want to pick up everything she/he sees in front of her/him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, that is part of being a toddler. They will pick up everything so that is why you need to keep a close eye on them and make sure dirty things are not going in their mouth.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:39 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Yes, because he or she is curious.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on May. 21, 2009

• It's normal to want to, but I wouldn't let them do it. You don't know what could be on it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:38 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't say it is OK depending on what they are picking up (cigarette butts, other kid's toys), but it is definitely normal.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:39 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I meant that it's natural for them to watch to pick up whatever they see but don't allow them to touch it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Hi moms thank you so much for the input. It is hard at the beginning to create a norm for my toddler which is "you can look but don't touch" of course some things are ok to touch. But I was worry that I was being too strict...my toddler keeps crying every time I say no or sometime I have to pull a cigarette butt from his hand per say. It's hard to be constant but I guess at the end of the it pays off to be there for guidance. I wish for the day when we go to the park and I sit with other moms on the bench and watch gracefully our little ones play but for now I feel like I'm the Sargent in an Army Camp. I didn't sleep well last night so don't go thinking that I'm out of my ming. :-) OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Yes it's normal. My girls pick up EVERYTHING and it goes right into their mouthes. They will out grow it.
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 10:54 AM on May. 21, 2009