What do you do when your family is negative about you and your baby?

So my whole family insist on me adopting the baby and my boyfriend is very upset, his not the baby's dad but he is VERY upset about this, i have already told them all im keeping it, but idk my mom said you cant have a baby shower cause your not getting married and its rude and idk MY FAMILY IS SO NEGATIVE, what do i do i'm going to need alot of things for my baby that i can't afford but she wont let me have a shower PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME EXPERIENCED MOMS

21_n_pregnant

Asked by 21_n_pregnant at 10:43 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it's so sad when family doesn't approve! I have a few friends and family members whose parents were totally against it and by the time they see the little one their feelings change immediately. I agree you should have a baby shower, even if you throw it for yourself! You should be happy and anyone else who is happy for you can come! Hopefully your mom will come around, since it's going to happen whether she likes it or not!
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:41 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I'm not married and I'm having my second baby (same daddy and all). I had baby showers. Tell your mom it's 2009!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:44 AM on May. 21, 2009

• It's sad that you don't have your family's support, do you have any friends you can turn to for emotional support? Just because your family won't give you a shower doesn't mean your friends won't and you can invite family and leave it up to them whether or not they come.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Why do you have to be married to have a shower? A BABY shower is just that. You are celebrating a child coming into the world and giving your support for the mother. Do you have any friends that can give you a shower? Anyone from work. Just exclude your family. If they don't want to be a part of it, don't make them. Count on your good friends. If you are serious about keeping the child and not putting it up for adoption, you need to suck it up and do what you need to do.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 10:50 AM on May. 21, 2009

• My family was like this as well but they came around by the time my DD was born. Also, traditionally family does not throw a shower, it is given by friends. My Mom was totally against me having a shower b/c of the whole not married thing but then the women of my church (yes, my CHURCH) got together & threw me a huge shower. Talk to your friends about the shower thing & see if they can step up. Have them invite your Mom but if she doesn't want to attend, that is her loss. Best of luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:52 AM on May. 21, 2009