What are some good ideas of finger foods for an 8 m/o?

Could I give her black beans? or is it too early for that? What are some other ideas? I'd like to start getting her of the purees and on to table type foods, but I need some ideas. Also is she old enough for dairy (not milk) and meat? What about Tofu?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cheerios, Gerber Puffs, Gerber Biter Biscuits, Toast, egg yolk (want to stay away from the whites for now) soft fruits such as peaches, steamed veggies...

A good rule of thumb is if you can mash it against the roof of your mouth with your tongue, he can gum it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:55 AM on May. 21, 2009

• peices of cooked veggies, cut up fruit, they can have meat now, my dd really like cantalope, I also give little pices of whatever I eat , she doesn't have teeth yet but she chews with her gums.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 10:59 AM on May. 21, 2009

• my little guy was completely off baby food by 9 months, we did a lot of fresh fruit and pasta in the beginning when he was just getting the hang of it. blueberries are GREAT to start with, so good for you, easy for them to mash with their gums and the least allergenic of all the berries. i cut them in half when he was first eating them.
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 11:06 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I give my dd banana cut up steamed zucchini avocado blueberries veggie sausage. Not too much tofu because its all soy. No dairy yet til a year old. Whole wheat pasta. I would avoid white pasta and bread. Its just unhealthy. You're not supposed to give ANY egg til a year. U can give pears and apples. I bake them to soften them. Good luck and have fun!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:14 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Lots of fruit, steamed veggies, pasta,chicken tenders, gerber puffs and crunchies. My doctor said no milk till she's a year old though. Too much of a risk for allergies and it's hard to digest. Anything he's had as baby food he won't be allergic to. However, go slow. Digesting table food is much harder than baby food and could cause constipation.
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 11:14 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Oh yeah in response to PP if u give bitter biscuits Please use a mesh feeder. The guy that invented it had a child that choked to death on one. U can get a mesh feeder anywhere. Target for $3.99.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:17 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I know they can't have milk for a year, but what about things like cottage cheese or yogurt and things like that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I had started giving dairy products by 8 months. We were also almost completely over onto table foods. Just start giving diced up pieces of what you're eating. Fix her a plate and put it in front of her. Start now with good eating habits and it won't be harder later.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:33 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I took every thing that I was pureeing for him and steamed it until it was soft and gave it to him.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 12:20 PM on May. 21, 2009

• No tofu before baby's first birthday. Soy is an allergy trigger food, along with wheat, dairy, citrus, strawberries, egg white, and a bunch of other stuff I can't think of. Allergy trigger foods that need to wait until Baby's second birthday are chocolate, nuts and honey.
    Great finger foods for now: avocado, egg yolk, cooked sweet potato, puffed brown rice (comes in a big bag) Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron is a great book on feeding babies, toddlers, and their families. You should be able to find it at your local library; more information at www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 1:32 PM on May. 21, 2009