high blood pressure

my mother went to the doctor today. They told her that her blood pressure was out the roof! that the doctor wouldn't be surprised if she had a stroke right now. i asked my mother if it could be from her drinking. she drinks all day everyday. rum and sprite all day. and she smokes like a chimney. and she said no. It runs in the family so she blames it on that. My grandfather has high blood pressure and he was an alcoholic and a heavy smoker. Do you honestly think it is hereditary? or it was just their drinking and smoking?

summerdaile

Asked by summerdaile at 10:54 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Health

• High blood pressure is hereditary, but when someone smokes like that & drinks it does not help.

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:56 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I don't believe high blood presure is caused by drinking or smoking but I do believe that it doesn't help. It doesn't help because of the life style and alcoholic leads, they usually don't eat the best food if they eat at all which can make a bad situation worse. I come from a heavy alcoholic background and watched the poor habits alcoholics can have, especially with their diet.
    londonmommyof2

Answer by londonmommyof2 at 11:35 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Your mother needs to start having a healthy lifestyle now, though it really sounds like she has no interest in life.
    I am so sorry.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:17 PM on May. 21, 2009