What is the criteria for a child to ride the special bus?

And, I am not asking this being ugly or anything, I am seriously curious. My reason for asking is because we were behind the special bus the other day (I call it special because it is not short and the only difference is that it has the wheelchair lift) and my son said that he thought it was his old bus driver. Well, I saw the lift on it and said that it must be the special bus. (sorry, if I offend, couldn't think of better wording) And, he said that it must be the bus of one of the little girls in our neighborhood. Now, the only thing that I have ever seen wrong with this child is that she is a little small, but she is just as normal it seems as my child. I know there is a different little girl in our neighborhood who is autistic, but she used to ride my son's bus. Like I say, I'm not asking to be ugly or anything, I just have never dealt with it and was surprised that this child was not on the regular bus.

mommystiebler

Asked by mommystiebler at 11:02 AM on May. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• it all depends on the child. Each situation is different and I bet there are dozens of different possible reasons that she rides that bus.

examples of reasons:

Some kids are better off in booster seats and such and the special needs bus can handle that better than the regular buses.

Other reasons may be behavioral.

On the bus my daughter rides, two boys ride it that aren't special needs, but the grandma is the driver so they ride her bus for just that reason.

My daughter rides the "special" bus because she is in a wheel chair....

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:12 AM on May. 21, 2009

• No you are not offending anyone. Can I tell you something and this is my own experience! There are meetings in your district where parents are asked to assist but unfortunately parents tend to busy these days on these meeting parents complain that they don't want their "normal children" mix with disable children. Some school especially the catholic ones are strongly opposed to let disable kids in their classroom that's why if you call any of these schools you'll find this fact.

So this in one of the reasons special ed kids have their own buses. they are small due to the ratio for every 500 normal kids theres is 1 who has a disability so no need of bigger buses.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Sorry for the misspelling I was typing too fast.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on May. 21, 2009