I saw this in another question (as a reply)& would like to know what it means

pot calling the kettle black

Why do people say this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It is just an old expression. Contrary to the beliefs of some people, it isn't a racist comment at all. It just means that one person is being critical of another when they are exactly the same. So if I were to tell my friend that she is spending too much money at a store when I just bought a bunch of stuff, I would be the pot calling the kettle black. It goes back to when all cooking items were cast iron (so were all black, unlike modern cookware which has many colors).
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:10 AM on May. 21, 2009

• It means you are being a hypocrite (most pots are black, they call the kettle black, get it?)

Its just a phrase.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:06 AM on May. 21, 2009

• It's just another way for people to call someone a hypocrite. I think most cooking stuff used to e made from the same material...like cast iron, which is black. So a pot a kettle would both be black.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:06 AM on May. 21, 2009

• It's an old phrase from when cooking pots and tea kettles were all made of iron. Being made of iron they were both black.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:07 AM on May. 21, 2009

• i agree with the first 2 replies down in the SOUTH we have alot more phrases like that some weird ones i dont even understand
    bmtmom01

Answer by bmtmom01 at 11:10 AM on May. 21, 2009