Battling the stains

Ok moms, I'm looking for the best stain remover out there. . I used to just toss clothing that got stubborn stains because honestly , I'm not much of a laundry person...I have no patients & I could afford to do so. But now I'm going from a family of 3 to a family of 6 in about 3 months so I need to save money and spend wisely. So what works best for you? Oxyclean is not working for me :(

Blakesmum08

Asked by Blakesmum08 at 11:34 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Home & Garden

• What works best for me is this, when the clothing is soiled I remove it from whoever's wearing it, and put it in the bathroom sink. I have a very stiff toothbrush (I got it cheep at rite-aid and it was too stiff to use for my teeth...so I use it for this) and I scrub the cloth with the brush under cold water for as long as my hands can bear the cold temperature. This has worked on chocolate, and dirt, but I haven't tried it on ketchup yet...and tangerine or orange stains have been hopeless even against bleach. Hot water sets a stain, so never wash a stained shirt in hot water unless you want the stain to stick. Don't dry it until you've done everything you can to get the stain out, because the heat from the dryer will also set the stain. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:43 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I'll be watching this carefully, stains on my kids clothes are driving me to drink, I swear. I pre-treat all stains and sometimes it works but definitely not always. As if I don't spend enough time on laundry as it is! I've used store brand stain spray, Shout heavy duty spray and the latest is the gel with the little scrubber for a top. They all suck, IMO.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:44 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Omg this all sounds like a nightmare. I had no idea hot water sets the stain, I always use hot water to "get the stain out". Sounds like I have to sit there and watch the laundry as if I have nothing else to do...ok, so I guess I'll try the soaking as soon as clothing is stained, I was sought of hoping for an easy fix, like "spray and wash, literally"...good heavens. Thanks ladies
    Blakesmum08

Answer by Blakesmum08 at 11:48 AM on May. 21, 2009

• For some stains you can use goo gone cleaner. Also, if you don't want to use a chemical cleaner, you can do what my mother-in-law does. She will immediately remove the clothes the person is wearing, spray it with a mixture of half white vinegar and half water, and scrub it with a toothbrush also. Then rinse it out in cold water and repeat if the stain is still there. Good luck, its work keeping the stains out!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:21 PM on May. 21, 2009

• IDK if this will help at all, but when anything gets spilled on cloth at my dads house, he immediately runs it under cold water in the sink. I remember spilling some kind of red juice on a white table cloth, and I did that right away..and almost all of it came out quickly. Of course, it might still need to be washed, or treated or whatever..but it took the bright red out of it almost immediately.
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 12:59 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Zout- works very well and I use spray and wash- now for blood i use zout with peroxide it works well for me.
    debmom07

Answer by debmom07 at 1:44 PM on May. 21, 2009