Tummy Time

My daughter is 7 weeks today. I was wondering how often should i let her have tummy time and for how long?

Emmasmom2009

Asked by Emmasmom2009 at 11:52 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i have heard about every other day and about 10-20 min at a time.... if they get fussy being on their belly, you could try putting her on your chest on her belly and you lay back a little and talk to her and stuff to get her attention and have her hold her head up that way.. i did that all the time when my daughter was 1-2 months... now at 3 1/2 months i put her on her belly and she does great!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:57 AM on May. 21, 2009

• When my son was born, I had a c-section and I was in the hospital for 6 days. He slept, tummy to tummy with me every day of it. He still sleeps on his stomach.. I know it's not right for all babies, but he wouldn't sleep on his back at all. He'd wake up every 5 minutes. He could hold his head up before he was a month old. I don't think there's any limit, as long as you watch for signs of weakness, if she stops holding her head up, or if she's breathing heavy from the effort. If she shows signs like that then I'd roll her over and give her things to look at like a mobile, or rotating nightlight sort of thing. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 12:10 PM on May. 21, 2009

• 10-15 minutes (if she'll tolerate it) 2-3 times a day. It helps strengthen their back and neck muscles. Due to the Back to Sleep campaign (putting babies to sleep on their backs), many babies aren't developing these muscles until much later and aren't crawling, sitting up or walking until much later. Mine always hated tummy time....it was better if she was on my chest but she didn't tolerate it for long. We just did it more often for as long as she could take it.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:16 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I forget the specifics, just make sure you do it, even if she hates it at first. We let my son's tummy time slide because he just screamed, and he has low muscle tone now. Those muscles are very important to the physical and (believe it or not) the neurological development of your little one's brain. So please don't skimp on the tummy time.
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 2:50 PM on May. 21, 2009