Hypothetically: Are parents to blame for a childs death? Read first, then answer.

Let's say a 2 year old child dies using an everyday household object while unsupervised in their own home while unsupervised. Lets say...a butter knife. He puts the knife into an unprotected electrical outlet. The parents sue the cutlery company because there was no warning on the package. Do you believe the parents have every right to sue or do you believe the parents are at fault for not supervising their 2 year old and failure to take any common sense safety measures? I am seeing these types of situations and just wondering about the motivation behind the lawsuits.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on May. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• parents fault sadly.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:01 PM on May. 21, 2009

• money is th root of most lawsuits and in cases like these guilt see if the parents can win they can blame the death of their child on th co rather than themsselves
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 12:03 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I do not think it is either of there fault..Kids do the darnedest things,,sometimes right in front of you..It's hard to keep your eyes on your kid 24/7. Those parents who sue for stupid stuff just are in it for the money.

Answer by louise2 at 12:06 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Parents fault. They should have been supervising thier kids.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:09 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Parents fault by far. There are protective measures you can take. However, do I believe the parents should be punished. NO. In the olden days,lots of children died in common household accidents. It's the way of the world. Live and Die. Do I believe they should have the right to sue the cutlery company. HELL NO. That's their own faults. Now, when money and greed enter the picture, YES throw the parents into jail. No one needs citizens out looking to make a buck. They are totally worthless to society in my eyes.
    Anonymous

• This is why we still have animal testing. You would think it would be common sense to not rube bleach in your eyes, or let your two year old stick something metal into a wall outlet. In all honesty, I think that if this went to court it would be thrown out by a judge as frivolous. Honestly I would to busy grieving over my child's death and my own stupidity to file a lawsuit.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:12 PM on May. 21, 2009

• parents. Our society has become one that it's easier to sue over common sense things then take the blame for one's own stupidity. Tragic yet happens all too much.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:14 PM on May. 21, 2009

• It was an accident. No one is to blame, really. My son could open child-proof locks before he could walk. I do my best to protect them, but no safety measure is 100%. You can only protect them so much.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:25 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I can't imagine why this would be the companys fault. even if there was a warning on the package, it is not going to make any difference to the UNSUPERVISED child. You would think that the parents would at least have outlet covers, but who knows.
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 12:49 PM on May. 21, 2009

• It helps the parents that feel guilty to have someone else to blame. I really think that is the reason for all of those ridiculous lawsuits. You know, the parents should be supervising their children better, IMO. I mean, if I were to walk out of the house to smoke or whatever and my child that didn't know any better pulled on the TV stand and pulled it on to her, that would be my fault. It would not have happened had I been there.

This isn't an accusation or anything, but itsbree2you, both of my kids and my nephew could take the outlet covers out of the outlets by the time they were 14 months old. DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:25 PM on May. 21, 2009