How do you get a toddler to wipe properly?

My daughter is 2 1/2. She's potty trained, except for a few hang-ups. For instance, no matter how many times I explain it to her, she can't seem to understand how not to take too much toilet paper for wiping. Besides that, she doesn't wipe properly at all. She pretty much mock-wipes and is on her way. I want her to understand the correct technique, especially after she's pooped. Otherwise, I end up with a stinky toddler who's constantly sticking her hands down her pants to itch her butt - ew.

MommyDumDum

Asked by MommyDumDum at 12:19 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Time and patience.
    Potty training takes a couple YEARS, with proper wiping being the longest part. For now, have her wipe and then you do a follow up. Over time, you will find the follow up wipe isn't necessary.
    As for not taking too much, figure out how much is right and teach her to count that number of squares. Again, since kids learn to count at different ages, this can take awhile. And remember - reciting a string of numbers is not the same as counting actual things.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:24 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Actually, that part of the training usually comes many months later....like at three or four. My son was potty traind at 2.5 except that part. He mastered that at three because he knew he would be at preschool and had to. He was a few months over three.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:22 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I have heard great things about "kandoo" wipes for toddlers and kids who have recently been potty trained - a bit gimmicky, but hey, if it works ...why not?
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 12:23 PM on May. 21, 2009

• i bought the original kandoo wipes and when they were gone bought refill packs of the walmart fluchable wipes i really like them..so does my son!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 12:49 PM on May. 21, 2009