How can babies be over-stimulated?

I saw this in another question, and was wondering how this occurs?
Medically.... What proof of this is there? Not that I do not believe it, I'm just curious and would like to find out more.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• babies can be "over- stimulated" by too much noise- I am sure that there is more, but I have no idea what they are :) I was just told about the noise when my son was a preemie
    Anonymous

• That can happen and they will be anxious and fussy, they will usually fall asleep to avoid all the stimulation. That's why they also need some quiet alone time. To help them be calm. If you are playing with them and showing them things nonstop, and you notice they turn their head away or cry or get all aggitated...then you know it's time to stop for awhile.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:25 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Yes babies can be over stimulated. If there is to much visual stimulation or activity going on such as having family and friend over and constantly being passed from one person to another, babies can get extremely cranky and can even prevent sleep. Here is more information.

http://www.babycareadvice.com/babycare/general_help/article.php?id=31
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:26 PM on May. 21, 2009

• my son is VERY much like this - he's 1-1/2 now and is still like this - if too many people come around him or come to see him it freaks him out - like he can only concentrate on 2-3 people or things at a time - anything more gets him too worked up -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:41 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Yes babies can be overstimulated easily. I'm not sure of any 'medical' proof but if you think about it, they are used to the goings on inside Mother's womb for 9 months and then they are thrown into this CRAZY world of toys, trinkets, noises, objects, people. foods, smells, tastes..etc..it can be pretty overwhelming.
    LeoneLover13

Answer by LeoneLover13 at 9:19 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Oh yes... think of even you as an adult. Have you ever been in an insanely busy place, with lots of noise and chaos and craziness? It's pretty much the same for the baby. They need thier balance just like us adults. Not too understimulated, and not too overstimulated. :)
    workathome01

Answer by workathome01 at 10:25 AM on May. 23, 2009