curious

is a restraining order the same as an order of protection...or are they different? I dont know a lot about this stuff

RhiannonHunt

Asked by RhiannonHunt at 12:30 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Here in Georgia there are temporary protection orders, and then there are restraining orders. The TPO is usually issued as soon as a problem is reported. When I needed a TPO the judge came to the court house right away to sign it even though it was technically after hours. When I got the restraining order there was an actual court date set and my abuser was served papers for that so he could show up and defend himself if he wanted to. He tried, but failed miserably. The judge gave me a restraining order against him. The TPO is short term, the RO was for 12 months. If you get a RO, when 12 months is up, you can ask the court to renew it for another 12 months, or they can make it a permanent order. Hope that helps....

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:39 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Technically no they are not, but a protection order really doesn't do much more than a restraining order in all practical purposes.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:36 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Oh, and if you do nothing when the 12 month RO expires, it just becomes null and void.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:40 PM on May. 21, 2009

• hmmm...my mom actually got something against my stepdad. were in iowa. it says he cant come near her...or use me and whole list of people to use as third parties to contact her. and she has an emergencry hearing june 4th. so im jsut trying to figure out what it is...thanks for all the help
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 12:43 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Did you see the new thing where they are putting those house arrest anklets on people so they go off if they come within so many feet of where they are not supposed to be for a peace order? I think that is a great idea, restraining orders are not bullet proof, this would go a long way in keeping these assholes away from people they are not supposed to go near.
    Anonymous