baby einstein videos or not?

i hear moms all the time talk about their babies watching baby einstein videos. but then i read articles saying that those kinds of videos are not good for infants to watch, "recent studies show......" what are your opinions on infants watching these movies? and do you let your baby watch baby development videos?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i let her watch baby einstein sometimes... she laughs kicks her feet..... smiles.. she loves them. she watches them but not ALL the time. my niece who is older watches hers and has learned a LOT from them... sign language.. colors.. animals... i love baby einstein and have yet to find anything wrong with them.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:37 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I used them at the daycare I worked at, kids loved them and learned alot. If I was having a child, I would love to have them. I think they are great and most of the kids asked to watch them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:44 PM on May. 21, 2009

• i thought mine was a waste of money. they make money off of taping toys and putting music in the background, and it isn't very long. I would try the sign language one when she gets a bit older, but the one i have was such a waste. i don't think watching them is bad for kids though. I was reading something on this site that said whether children watch tv or videos or not doesn't affect them one way or the other...unless your sitting your child in front of the tv for hours
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:52 PM on May. 21, 2009

• When my son was 3 months old he screamed and pulled his hair regardless of what I did to comfort him. I happened to pick up the 3 month old Baby Einstein video and put it in---- and WOW! The music calmed him and the motion of the toys caught his attention. It was a miracle to me. He is now 6 months old and he loves the videos. My good friend also has a 1 year old who claps and jumps up and down as she pushes play on the DVD. My friend said you can save money buy purchasing the videos in a bundle pack (I think from Amazon). I just use Target right now. My son also loves Dora the Explorer.
    babymoma1908

Answer by babymoma1908 at 1:04 PM on May. 21, 2009

• No TV before age 2; it does more harm than good. Read to your baby, play music and dance, enjoy having you and your baby give each other undivided attention; it won't last.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:22 PM on May. 21, 2009

• NEW studies show that a little TV before the age of 2 did not have a significant difference between those that watched and those that didn't. I personally don't see anything wrong with baby einstein. My dd loves the colors and music and it keeps her attention while I pump. This is another thing that is up to each individual parent.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:57 PM on May. 21, 2009

• We have a couple of video's for my son, he doesn't watch them often though... maybe a couple times a month.
    To me they seem like a mobile... colorful things to watch with music in the background.
    I don't think watching a lot of TV is a good idea for young childrens but I don't think a small amount now and then is harmful. Sometimes you need a "sitter" something to keep your baby busy while you get a few things done.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:06 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Lets face it - you can't entertain your baby 24/7...its just not possible. it becomes less possible when you have the second and the third kid, etc. If you look at the reasons why they save tv is bad for children, it has a lot to do with the materialism and commercialism that come along with the commercials. (McDonalds, ice cream, sex, violence, etc, etc). I've yet to see a reasonable reason why a Baby Einstein video would be bad (except if you put your kid in front of it all day long). Its music (classical at that), imagery and learning. Mine has always loved Baby Einstein - we just set a rule that we don't watch more than 30 min to an hour a day. (Baby Noah, World Animals, Baby Newton and Nursery Numbers are the favorites). When she's sick, there is nothing like a good Einstein movie...it keeps her relaxed, rested and entertained.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:13 PM on May. 21, 2009

• If you are going to have baby watch something, better Baby Einsteins than Spongebob. Ideally, no TV before age 2. Your best bet is no TV/videos, just real world interactions. A little "educational videos" probably won't hurt, but they won't help your baby learn anything either.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:25 PM on May. 21, 2009