my son is 4 and still is not potty trained and has no want to!

my son is 4 and does not want to go to the potty! He knows he is a big boy and he thinks pull ups ARE for big boys! Today is his last day of headstart and they use pull ups for kids who are not potty trained! Well he has his last pull up on and i REFUSE to buy anymore! UNDERWEAR! Thats what he gets from now on if i have to wash clothes all day! I have even taken him to the dr about this she says underwear and no looking back! We have tried rewards and everything! I am putting my foot down me and my husband are and this is it! We are the boss and thats that! Are we doing the right thing? Has anyone had a late potty trainer?

cortneydmorris

Asked by cortneydmorris at 12:36 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mine was trained at 2.5, but, I refused to buy pull-ups. I put him straight into tightie-whities. He was plenty old enough and demonstrated all the rediness signs. So, we stayed home for a week with either undies or nakedness and he learned how in about 3 days. A few night accidents, but, not many. He was complete by the following week. Never bought even one pull-up. Wait..I did buy one pack, and he used one. I refused to put the rest on him.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:42 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I'm having the same problem with my almost 4 yr old.So let me know how it works out.
    ZMK

Answer by ZMK at 1:43 PM on May. 21, 2009

• My daughter was 4 when she finally becamed fully trained, no pull ups at all. What we finally had to do was take away her favorite thing from her. What my daughter was doing was she didn't mind peeing in the potty it was going poo-poo. So she would wear panties during the day and we would pull ups on at night, she would wait until the pull up was on to go poo-poo. To break her of this we took her snoopy away. Her snoppy is her lovie and she has to slepp with him. So we told her if you poop in the pull up snoopy goes up. It took 2 nights without snoopy and she never went in the pull up again. Then like a month later we took away the pull ups away at night. That was 6 months ago and she only wet the bed twice. We put pull ups on her for 2 nights about 3 months ago because she was on medicine that knocked her out so she wouldn't wake up to pee. Hope this helps, Good luck.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 1:46 PM on May. 21, 2009

• thats what I had to do too. I woke up one day and told my son no more pull ups, he said ok we go buy some. I said no, we are not doing pull ups anymore only underware. I when and bought a bunch of cheep underwear and if he messed to much we would just throw it away. I think it took him the whole weekend to figure it out.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 8:10 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Wow I'm sorry but that's just sad that a 4 yr old is not potty trained yet! my son was trained at 2. we bought a potty chair when he was 1 and just left it in the bathroom right next to the toilet, one day he started sitting on it (with his pants still up) while i would potty, next thing you know he would sit with his pants off (diaper still on), then it turned to him taking his diaper off and just sitting there while i would potty, then he started to potty when i would potty...there was never any pushing, i just let it happen. and pullups were NEVER something i was willing to buy. once we went to undies, that was it!!! don't fall back! Go for it and be strong! Switch to undies and let your child get wet a few times...that unpleasant feeling will cause some changes pretty quick! just don't back down!! u dont even need to fuss when they potty in the undies, just say oh well! u should have used the potty....hope it works out!
    kristi.guillory

Answer by kristi.guillory at 10:55 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I just wanted to add it might be sad to have a son who is 4 and not potty trained but some kids can be hard i am a mom who is in that same boat my last son is being very hard to potty train i am working hard to get him trained but some days he just acts like he don't care i have bought him big boy underwear and he can pee in them then he hides the wet ones and then get dry ones i asks him everytime do you have to go potty and he does go pee but then i while later he still wets i have 2 other boys that were 3 when they both were fully potty trained i have no ideal why he is giving me so much trouble
    boysmom953

Answer by boysmom953 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2009