Does the media focus on the negative side of the black race?

With all the current questions about slang and race, an answer stuck out at me. It was this statement "Unfortunately, the media continues to focus on the negative side of the black race inorder to keep people thinking thoughts like yours."

If you feel that black people are viewed negatively, do you think the media is to blame? Do you think the MEDIA is to blame for overuse of slang in this country? Or would you say the people who use it???!!!??? Is this pointing the finger at the wrong people?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "I'm kickin in wit my niggas" is just a different way to say "I'm hanging with my buds" IT'S ALL SLANG

I think this answer from another post sums up your question OP. How is this supposed to be taken positively? But when the 'media' highlights rappers, actors, moguls, etc. and this is the language they use, how can it be positive? I mean the answer from above is from a MOM, here on cafemom. but, lets just blame the media, or avenue, like cafemom.

Anonymous

• Well considering that was my statement you used.

YES. I think the media tends to paint a negative picture of minorities.

The news tends to demonize minorities, this leads to stereotypes and fear.
    The sitcoms use people of color as comic relief or side kick characters who use slang and other idiotic phrases.
    The tv stations limit the amount of positive black characters and families seen on TV.

I do not behave like many of the characters I see on TV, yet I see and hear several negative comments about people of "color". That should not suggest that I think the world is against me. I have many friends of different races.

With that being said, I stand by my opinion and I will always stand up for my race when I feel there has been injustice. Call me militant, but you're opinion of me would be inacruate.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 12:57 PM on May. 21, 2009

• i am not racist at all my husband is black however, no i dont think the media is to blame. lets face it the way some black people act in the past present and future they give theirself that name. not EVERYONE with color is ignorant no. i live in an area which minority is black i have seen the bad and the good of the area but just because some act ignorant doesnt mean all black people should be put to same. just like around here white girls with a black guy is very deaming they think they are sluts or whatever you want to call it however my husband is a gentlemen, very outspoken and polite and knows his grammer. he isnt the avg black guy which he is really cape verden which noone has ever heard of.. thats besides the point slavery should have never happend. its just not right...
    NewLady1

Answer by NewLady1 at 12:57 PM on May. 21, 2009

• inaccurate
    Anonymous

• I agree the media has a part in it but they are not all to blame. If someone bases their view of black people by what they see on TV or in movies then that is their fault. You can't base someone let alone an entire race based on what you see on TV or in movies.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:59 PM on May. 21, 2009

• inaccurate
    -------------
    Thank you captain typo. Yet another post saved from a typing error.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 12:59 PM on May. 21, 2009

• No I dont. They use to but in recent history they have done a huge 180. Now all things black are glorified. Black people can make racist comments, act in a manner that is unbecoming to any race, turn women in to objects and be openly hostile and its acceptable in the media.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 1:02 PM on May. 21, 2009

• abbynnzachsmommy

What do you have against blacks?

Anonymous

• Yuppers! I think the media in all it's forms tends to lean heavily when it comes to perpetrating streotypes of all minorities, not just black people. The media is not fully to blame a lot has to do with people living up to streotypes as well and when the media notices people living up to racial, religious and cultural streotypes it seizes the chance to smear it all over TV.

Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 1:05 PM on May. 21, 2009

• While we are on the subject of race, where on earth did the term "oreo" come from?? How is it a person is acting "white" if they use proper english and don't want to wear their pants down to their knees? I wonder if the media put more strong black characters on the screen (i.e. not swearing all the time, not doing gang related things...) if it would change peoples point of view or are we all going to think of the negative no matter what?
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 1:06 PM on May. 21, 2009