Why does my puppy keep getting into the cats litter box and eating the feces?

It is totally discusting adn I don't understand why she would do this. I would move it but it's in the laundry room and I can't block it off because then the cat wouldn't be able to get to it.

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 12:53 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Pets

• I worked at Petsmart for a while, it is usually a vitamin deficiency they are trying to fulfill by eating feces. They have medicine you can get for that. Or, as 2-1CavWife said, get a covered or Booda litter box. They work wonderful. The only problem with the Booda Litter Box is that there is less room for litter, so you may have to clean it more often. I find more female dogs will eat cat poop. I personally think it must be their maternal instinct because when a female dog has puppies, they will eat their puppies poop to keep the area where their puppies sleep clean.
    Another suggestion, is to put the litter box (covered or not) in the laundry room, and get a little small "kitty/doggy" door installed into the laundry room door. The dog won't be able to get through, but the cat will be able to access the litter box.
    Good Luck : )
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 1:24 PM on May. 21, 2009

• You could get one of those covered little boxes, or they even have ones that are shaped like conch shell. Puppy wont be able to get into one of those. They are called Booda Clean litter boxes, and you can get them at Pet Smart for about 30 dollars. In my opinion worth every penny!
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:59 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Maybe he likes cat food...
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 1:16 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Almost all puppies will get into the litter box until you can teach them to stop. Cat food has a high amount of protein in it and the dogs can smell it in the poop. It can be very bad for them if you use the clumping litter since it can sometimes clog their intestines. We use a baby gate to block the doorway so the cats can get in but the dogs can't.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 2:17 PM on May. 21, 2009