Do/did you go more for traditional names for your children, or did you want unique.

My oldest son is Chad. Haven't met too many other Chad's,but it's still not that uncommon. My daughter is Brianne,but we call her Breezi. When I named her that 22 years ago,there were almost no Brianne's, now they're all over the place. And my youngest son, is Kyndel (I wanted a unique spelling, so that's why it's like that). His middle name is James,and he hates his name,so he goes by KJ. I always had to spell my name for people, Mom named me Malinda, with an "a" instead of an "e",and it's always been spelled wrong. I swore I wouldn't do that to my kids,but did,anyway! LOL.

stvmen88

Asked by stvmen88 at 12:57 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Oh! And, forgot to add, I go by Mendy, with an "e" instead of "i",and always have to spell it,also!
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 12:58 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I went traditional, spelling and all. Leila
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:01 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Traditional. I don't want my kids to be instantly disqualified for something based on their name. Employers and colleges actually will do that based on the name. It is sad but true. If they can't pronounce it, they will not even bother calling them.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 1:01 PM on May. 21, 2009

• 13 years ago, my childs name was somewhat unique, but, not crazy. Braden Alexander. Now, it seems like a bandwagon that I jumped on. However, he is 13 and most of the Braden's are a few years younger. So, I always joke that I was driving the bandwagon that everyone is hopping on.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:06 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Im going to name my son Lance Nathanial. Hes my first. But if i have a girl im going to name her either Karen Elizabeth or Luraina Michelle.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:07 PM on May. 21, 2009

• My kids names are too common. We wanted something that was unique without being to far out there. Dd is Kirsten and ds is Bradley. Both names that you hear just not all the time. Dd has yet to meet another Kirsten in her school.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 1:15 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Traditional. My parents gave me a VERY unique name, and I couldn't put my child through the same hassles I had to (and STILL DO) put up with.

My SO and I named her Victoria. It's a common name...but it suits her! My SO really liked the name, and it was his idea.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:19 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I named my daughter after family. Jaylyn Rose, my grandfather's name was Jay. The Lyn is from my MIL Linda, and my mama's middle name is Rose.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 1:19 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I agree with 2-1 Cav. Employers look at names and if they sound as though they may be African American names it is possible that they may be passed over. LaShonta Alize Washington, Amarion Jatray Jones.

Mikayla, Kayleigh Kayla are all popular names in both AA and Caucasian families.

But I love names such as Rance, Reagon, are not as common. I kinda like those...
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 1:20 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Traditional. DS name is Matthew (although we call him Matti...he's only 3 months so I can get away with it lol). I wanted traditional because my mom and sister's names are unique and it's driven them nuts. Their names are Rolene (like Jolene) and Rolanda. Luckily, i got off easy with a traditional name lol.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 1:22 PM on May. 21, 2009