When and how do i wean from the bottle?

i have a one-year -old daughter and at her daycare, in order for her to graduate to the "Toddler Room" she must be weaned from the bottle. what would be the best age and how would i do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• One year is when doctor's typically recommend weaning. make sure she can drink from a sippy cup first (or equivalent). We weaned at 15 months when he could use the cup. Then I'd suggest eliminating them one at a time starting with the "least favorite" (ie. the one you think she'll miss the least). Keep eliminating them one at a time until they're gone. In our case, we eliminated the morning and afternoon bottles close together (1 a week). The last bottle went away about 2 weeks later (we were going on vacation and I didn't want to mess with it while away). By then, he didn't seem to care but he also never had a bottle to fall asleep. Depending on your child's personality, you can also try going "cold turkey" and just getting rid of them. Whatever approach you take, make sure you hide or get rid of the bottles! The only time we had a problem was one night when he spotted them! Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:25 PM on May. 21, 2009

• We used this brand of sippy cup to wean our son. It's straw is soft and it was easy for him to get enough to drink. He was fully weaned in less than a week at one year old.

http://www.amazon.com/Handle-Cup-Handles-Flip-Straw/dp/B000BPPPKY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1242927160&sr=1-7
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:35 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Does she only drink from a bottle or does daycare give her some liquids in a sippy? I've got an 18 month old and I had the daycare wean him to get him to the next class. We started with sippies at 6 months. By one year, he was down to one bottle during the day which was at nap time. He was so laid back, it was easy to go cold turkey.

If your munchkin isn't so easy going, gradually reduce that milk over a few days. And again, make the daycare do it... my experience is that my kids did things easier when it wasn't me trying to impose it.

then he was down to 1 bottle at bed time. he got a stomach bug and you can't give them milk with that. So we went cold turkey again and now completely off the bottle. But agree with first response, get rid of bottles. My hubby gave baby a bottle once just because he saw it on the counter. doh!
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:59 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I went cold turkey just before the boys turned 1 yr.As soon as they would drink from a cup for 12 hours straigh,t all the bottles went into the trash. It worked great for us. Out of site out of mind.
    valerie0103

Answer by valerie0103 at 3:49 PM on May. 21, 2009