potty traning my 2 year old girl.. plz help..

she will go when i take her most of the time. but she is still going in her dp.. and she wont tell me when she needs to go..

kaseysmom_07

Asked by kaseysmom_07 at 1:52 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The biggest mistake in potty training is expecting a child to tell you she needs to go. Potty training is a process, not a "there you go, all trained!" event. Telling or even just going on her own as well as wiping can take months or even years longer. Think of it this way...

Hmmm.... I have that funny feeling again. But I'm having so much fun with this toy and I don't want to stop playing. What to do? Should I just keep playing and hope the feeling goes away? Should I tell Mommy? But wait, if I tell then she will make me stop playing. Uh oh... Mommy asked me if I have to go.... what do I say? If I tell her YES, she will make me stop playing... so I'll tell her NO! Maybe that funny feeling will go away all on it's own. In the meantime, I can keep playing. YEAH!

What normal child will happily stop playing to go sit in the boring bathroom given a choice between the two?

-cont-
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:18 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Do not ask. Do not wait for her to tell. Keep an eye on the clock and on her behavior. If it's been 2 hours since she last peed or if she is doing the "potty dance", TELL her it is time to try. If she pees, reset your mental timer for 2 hours. If she doesn't, set your mental timer for 1/2 hour and have her try again. You can use a real timer too if you want. Remember that many kindergarteners will wet their pants simply because they will be so involved in something that they put off going until it's too late. That's NORMAL. And your's is only 2 and brand new at using the potty.

As for going in the diaper, it's what she's been doing for all of her life. She does not understand that the rules have changed. So, if she will go when you take her to the potty, switch her to panties. Save diapers for nighttime. Skip pullups except for long trips out with no easy bathrooms.

-cont-
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:23 PM on May. 21, 2009

• As for nighttime, some kids self train and stay dry all night. Some wet the bed for years. Both are normal and there is nothing you can do to change how your child's sleeping brain works. Just keep her in diapers (or pullups, Good Nights, etc) at night until she is waking up dry most mornings.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:25 PM on May. 21, 2009

• read up on 3 day potty training. It can be a life saver.

also do away with diapers and go straight to panties. When my daughter had pee running down her leg was when she learned to TELL me when she had to go.
    valerie0103

Answer by valerie0103 at 3:44 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Read the book:
    'Potty Train Your Child In Just One Day'
    Written by Potty Pro Teri Crane
    This book shows how a Potty Party will do the trick in one day!
    I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! And there are several moms and pediatricians that recommend it.
    Seriously it will help you and her be COMPLETELY potty trained in ONE fun filled day!
    Good luck!
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 4:55 PM on May. 21, 2009