Do you believe in scareing your kids so they wont have sex?

Telling that what could happen , but the WORST parts of it? Like , u WILL get an std , you WILL get prengnat -- no matter what?

tha-hawt-mommie

Asked by tha-hawt-mommie at 1:53 PM on May. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• im not going to put fear in my children w/ sex ... im going to tell them what could happen , im not going to say it WILL happen , ill tell them about protection ... everything , i dont want to scare them so they'll never have sex though!
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 1:54 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Yes, I do. lol I want them to be educated, but I don't want them to assume that sex is like it is on television and in the movies. I want them to not just be physically ready, but emotionally, and mentally ready. I am not prudish and think that sex is great, but I don't think someone under the age of 18 should be having it. I know I am going to get tons of flack from it, but I want my child to develop themselves into productive members of society that are happy with themselves before they start adding sex into the equation. I think a lot of people forget that you need to build the emotional bounds of a relationship before they start screwing.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 2:06 PM on May. 21, 2009

• No. I plan to tell them the truth. Period. I want them to know that I will always tell them the truth so that they know if they ever want to know the real deal then they can find out from me.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 2:27 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Scaring them no teaching them so they know how to protect themselves yes.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:28 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I will tell them the truth but I will also tell them that when and if they decide to have sex before marriage, they need to use a condom no matter what the girl says. Girls these days are ruthless and so in need of attention. Some want to trap a guy for whatever reason or they want the attention of being "cute and preggers" just like the teens on TV.
    Anonymous

• I believe in honesly with my child. Studies have shown that children who are educated in the details of reproduction, birth control, and the transmission of diseases have sex later than, and safer than, child taught abstinence only. I will say that the childbirth movie scared the poop out of my 8th grader; she swears that she will never have a baby!

Answer by rkoloms at 2:42 PM on May. 21, 2009

• No. I'll be honest. The facts may be scary, but that won't be my intention. I want to teach every angle. Not scare her out of it. This kinda reminds me of that movie mean girls. The coach say "At this age, you wanna take your clothes off and touch each other. But if you touch each other you WILL get chlamydia and you WILL die." Lol.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:44 PM on May. 21, 2009

• jus1jess : lmao! it does hahah! i tried to think of that line ... one time i was at the clinic (because my insurance got cut and they had my bc cheaper) , and my friend thought itd be HILLARIOUS to say that , well there must of been someone who found out she had it , and she ran out crying! i left i didnt even want the damn bc after that!! i was sooo embarrassed!!!
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 2:52 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Scaring? The truth MIGHT scare them. If so, then so be it.
    I am letting my children know (we have already begn sex ed in our home) that sex can have numerous catastrophic results if you are not careful, mature and responsible. I have explained what STDS are, how they are transmitted and what health complications they can cause. My children also know what a condom is, what it is used for and that it can decrease your risk, but that there is still a risk--that there is no such thing as safe sex unless both you and your partner are tested before, etc.
    I have also explained how a teen pregnancy could ruin their hopes, dreams and goals that they are setting for themselves, etc.
    Some might find that "scary" and I hope they find STDs and ruined hopes scary---but they are FACTS and I believe they need to know the facts!
    YuppyMom

Answer by YuppyMom at 3:10 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Saying "they will" is false. It's not always true, no I wouldn't use scare tactics.. those rarely work and in fact just make the parent look dumb.

I will tell them the truth, all of the truth, including what std's they COULD get, the severity of those STD's etc. I will tell them the truth about pregnancy. I will tell them how to protect themselves.

We will be open and honest about sex, and the consequences. I wont lie and make it sound as sex is this evil thing and you will die if you do it, etc.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:32 PM on May. 21, 2009