A.D.D??

My niece is 2 and is having a hard time concentrating on anything. I know she's 2 and how long could her attention span be. However, she's just kinda GO GO GO all the time. ANd isn't happy unless she's doing something new and easily frustrated. There's more but I can't think of a specific example right now lol.So my questions are:
Could it be ADD? (my sister thinks thats what itis and no she hasn't been tested)
Is there any way to naturally treat ADD? or anything we can do to help her work on attention spans and how to focus her energy?
Thanks :)

vicki136

Asked by vicki136 at 1:57 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At 2 I highly doubt it. Way, way too young for this type of diagnosis. Quite possibly she is gifted and just gets board easily. Give her some time to grow and mature. If she gets to 4 or even a little older then worry about it.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:59 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Many times, unless the case is extreme, you won't have a doctor attempt to diagnose until 6 or 7. Until then, a lot of time it is just kids being kids. Challenge her and see if that doesn't help. Not all, but many, children with attention problems are more intelligent than their peers, and like Teamquinn said, get bored.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:01 PM on May. 21, 2009

• teamquinn

I think she's smart (but that could just be proud auntie talking lol). She knows her ABC's and can write thru G. She counts to 14 and recognizes animals (jungle, zoo, barnyard...you name it) and can make their sounds. I'm wondering (if in fact she's smart and it's not just me thinking so) would a pre-school type program help her focus or is she still too young for structured learning?
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 2:02 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Most pre-school's won't accept kids until 2 1/2 unless they're also day care centers. She may also get bored if she's too far ahead which won't help. She sounds like a pretty typical 2 year old to me. My son also is very active and gets frustrated easily. What I do with my son is to get him to do "one more" of whatever he's doing before moving on. If he's working a puzzle and gets bored in the middle, we do one more piece before we put it away. That slowly helps to build his attention span without frustrating him.
    Anonymous