Flying vs. Driving

What are your opinions on both ?? My parents are planning to go to NYC for 2 days in July the week AFTER the 4th . They think that driving will be cheaper in the long run . My hubby and I say that it would be cheaper to fly . They found it would be $1,000 to fly round trip for both them and my sister who is also going. I don't think that sounds right I think that sounds high .

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 2:01 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Travel

• It depends on where they are driving from but I would say that with 3 people going it would probably be cheaper to drive. I personally would rather pay the extra for the convenience of flying since I hate driving long distances but to each their own.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 2:06 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Oh we live in Indiana !!
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 3:12 PM on May. 21, 2009

• DRIVING
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 9:03 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Driving will end up being cheaper for them unless they can get super cheap flights. However, if they fly, then they have to shell out more money for taxi fare or car rental. At least if they drive, they have their car.
    On an off note, Gigi1969 how did you get it to scroll?!?!?!? Please do tell!
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 9:18 PM on May. 21, 2009

• If I had purchase 3 of the tickets for my trip it would be about $1000 and those were the cheapest tickets offered for that flight. So it sounds right. Have them check expedia, hotwire, whatever other site there is and the airline itself. They all should have "price calendars on them where you can see the cheapest flights. Times too close to the 4th will still be very expensive, but dates farther out shouldn't be. When it comes to driving, it depends on how far it is. You have to consider gas, food, hotels, maintenance on the vehicle if it were to break down etc. There was no way I could have driven to CA for the cost of flying + my rental. Not even close. And I would have had less time there because of it.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 12:36 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Have you been to NY? IF they do save money by driving,why would they want the hassle of all that traffic and it is crazy there. There is nowhere to park on the main streets and the garages charge a fortune,its a ripoff. Flying is so much easier..isnt it worth it/??
    Anonymous

• It all depends. All gas stations have different prices as you know, add in food too. But flying it depends on the airline. Are they factoring in more than cost? Have they thought about comfort as well? Do they like to sit for long periods of time? Do they like to drive or is that a pain considering traffic and all? Are they getting a rental while in New York because that would obviously add cost too.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 9:50 AM on May. 23, 2009

• spirit airlines offers super great deals, specially if you become a member of the $9.00 club!!!
    Nmom777

Answer by Nmom777 at 12:05 PM on May. 23, 2009