How common is it to dilate and efface around 28 weeks?

At my last check up (27 weeks 4 days) i found out i was dilated 1cm and my cervix has thinned about 50%. Needless to say i'm on modified bedrest and have a Fetal fibronectin tomorrow and will ask her then but this is my first baby and i was wondering ya'lls experiences and just to see how common this is. Thanks!

shrndrkus

Asked by shrndrkus at 2:14 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's not very common but it doesn't mean you'll go into preterm labor or that it won't be able to be stopped. My best friend was dialated to a 3 at 27 weeks and started contracting. They stopped the contractions and she went all the way to 37 weeks which is term.

Why were they checking you this early to begin with? Are you having other preterm labor signs?

If not they should NOT be checking you this early. Not only can it induce infection but it can also CAUSE you to dialate and efface!
    Anonymous

• I know that its common to be dilated that little for a long time. A friend of mine was at 1cm for a month in a half before she deliverd. It all depends.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:37 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Yea i was having some really bad pelvic pressure and pain and some pains in my diaphragm through to my back and so she thought the baby had engaged. i was having some contractions too but not regularly and only every few days but they decided it was enough to check and we were glad they did. they did a scan of my cervix and found it had thinned to an inch so off to bedrest i go...
    shrndrkus

Answer by shrndrkus at 8:02 PM on May. 21, 2009