Can you freeze Lactaid milk?

I take care of a little boy in the afternoons that is lactose intolerant. Since he is only here for snack he would not use a carton of Lactaid before the expiration date. Is it possible to freeze it in small quantities and thaw out the amount needed each day? Thanks.,

Happy_at_home

Asked by Happy_at_home at 2:25 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• You can freeze milk; just remember that it will expand, so leave room in the container.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:40 PM on May. 21, 2009

• For some reason, lactose-free milk seems to have really far off expiration dates. I just bought a quart today that won't expire til July 17th. I know it sounds strange, but every quart I've bought has always been that way. If not, the rest of you can drink it without a problem. It doesn't taste any differently.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:15 AM on May. 22, 2009

• The expiration date is for UNOPENED lactose free milk. It has to be used within 7 days of opening, read the package.

I would think you would be able to freeze it, or buy a smaller container.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:08 PM on May. 22, 2009

• No .
    I froze 1/2 Gallon of Lactaid because it was on sale . I froze it the day I bought it.
    When thawed out it looked terrible , it was all separated , I shook the container well but when poured it still looked really bad , I threw it out.
    charlieclc

Answer by charlieclc at 5:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2009