Can you chose to have a c-section?

Everything has not been going good with my baby. In the 1st trimester and part of 2nd I only gained 1 pound! Because my night (not morning for me) sickness was so bad, I needed up in the hospital three time because of it, and was put on med for it! After I got it under control my weight gain has been BAD, I am gaining too much weight, but I am eating right and I take a 30 min walk everyday unless its raining. I have been peeing more sugar than I should since I was 24 weeks, they did my 1 hour and 3 hour test but I dont have diabetes. Now at 34 weeks I have to do my 1 hour test all over, I went into labor yesterday. I am going to see me doctor tomorrow and thinking about asking him if I could just have a c-section, but before I ask him that I want to know if I can make that chose or does he have to ask me?

HuntersMama09

Asked by HuntersMama09 at 2:32 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You shouldn't be going into labor so soon. I'm guessing the doctor will want to give you something, go on bed rest, etc. until the baby's lungs are fully developed. That's probably still a few weeks away.

Maybe by then, he will give you a c-section if your or your baby's health require it. Some doctors will give one on request even if there is nothing wrong, but that is rare.

I know you're tired of all the health problems that have arisen since getting pregnant, but the doctor probably won't give a c-section just because you're tired of being pregnant.

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 2:39 PM on May. 21, 2009

• why would you want to choose to have a c-section?
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 2:40 PM on May. 21, 2009

• You usualy cant choose to have a c section if there is no medical reason for it. They dont do that because its considerd a major surgery. I tryed to ask for one because i pass out at least 2 times a week and they still wont let me. And im afraid that im going to pass out when im in labor.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:42 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Your not supossed to be able to choose a c-section. It's considered unethical by the College Of Obstetrics and Gynocology to do elective c-section or inductions because of the severe risk they pose.

C-sections are for EMERGENCIES not for choosing. If your doctor okays it than I would be concerned about what kind of doctor he really is.
    Anonymous

• I dont want to have him NOW! All I want is to make sure he is safe! My doctor keeps telling me that he could be too big if we cant stop all this sugar! I am just worried about the heath of child!
    HuntersMama09

Answer by HuntersMama09 at 2:53 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Since its your first pregbancy they probably won't let you chose to have a c section. If the dr thinks it necissary the dr will talk to you about it. The only time I've heard of letting a woman chose to have a c section or not is if they have had a previous one. My daughter was breech so we did a c section and now I'm 29 weeks into my second pregnancy and I will be having another c section. My dr asked me at 12 weeks if I wanted a c section or do a natural birth. I chose the c section but had my first pregnancy was natural I never wouldve had the option.
    jazzysmommy1004

Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 2:56 PM on May. 21, 2009