Why did he do this to her?!

A friend of mine just got engaged a few weeks ago. Happiest time of her life right now, she started planning and looking for dresses. Then out of the blue last night she shows up at my door, balling her eyes out. I invite her in an she blurts out " ____'s brother just told me that _____ only asked me to marry him to shut me up, he got me the ring and made a fake promise to shut me up about being married. And when I asked ___ if it was true, he admited to it."
I was furious! How couls someone be so cold hearted like that? And rude?! I feel so bad for her ..
What should I say to help her feel better? She slept over because she couldn't even go home to look at the guy..

DesignerMom0801

Asked by DesignerMom0801 at 2:35 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• Sounds to me like they are both at fault. Yes he was wrong for doing that, but at least he admitted it. ALso, if he went through those lengths to shut her up about it, she was probably nagging the ever loving piss out of him. Which was wrong of her. No man wants a wife that nags and harps to get her way, and no woman wants a man that doesnt truly want her.... they just need to part ways.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 4:21 PM on May. 21, 2009

• That's pretty messed up in so many ways...what a heartless F*** (excuse my language!). All you could do is be there for her. I can't believe a guy would do that...well actually I can. Let her cry it out, I hope your friend doesn't stay with this guy.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 2:39 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Just be a shoulder to cry on. Don't tell her what you think she should do, it could come back to bite ya. I don't know why people can be so mean. Maybe since he asked her to shut her up, she should kick him in his junk a lunk, just to see if it hurts:) Seriously, just be a friend she can talk to. Keep any advice to a minimum.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 2:40 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Maybe she needed to be shut up?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:46 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Tell her to sell the ring and use the cash as a down payment on her new place. She needs to move on, this guy is trash.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:46 PM on May. 21, 2009

• the only thing she should do ,,is to thx god taht no marriege happened coz if this happened now,,wat will happene later,,,and lats suppose he was mad and angry ,,let her away from if he calls u answer,,if he come to her don't see him,,,let him feel that he realy wants her,,and she should be sure from his feeling before marriagggggggggg,,i hope she will feel better soon
    Anonymous

• The ring actually still belongs to him.

But, at least she found this out before she really married him. Even though it's hard and it sucks, try to see the positives in the situation.
    ABryn1011

Answer by ABryn1011 at 2:53 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Try to tell her that what he did was actually do her a favor...
    Who wants to be with a man that does not really want you...

Sounds to me that the guy felt pressured.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:58 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Not knowing the whole situation truly on either side, and all you have is what your friend. Granted he may really be a jerk. All you can do for your friend is listen and be there for her. But, try not to get to involved, just be there for her.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 2:58 PM on May. 21, 2009

• She must be great in the sack..
    Anonymous