holidays

I have found that we are not suppoed to celebrate holidays like christmas and easter. Because they are pagan in origin and why would we celebrate a "christian" holiday on a pagan holiday, that;s like slapping Godi nthe face I think. Plus he's asked us NOT to mix paganism and Him. So I have an unbelieving husband who REALLY loves the holidays but I can no longer celbrate how do I make it so he understands? Without pushing him away from god. M husband believes morei n magic and evolution then God. BUT he does believe there is a God.

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 2:56 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• note:

I've sent you a personal message with descriptions of what is above, and how to make it work with your beliefs AND your family.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:21 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Well, my first question is why don't you celebrate? Are you Jahova's Witness? If so, I can 100% understand your reasoning behind it.

I think your best course of action is to let it be. Your relationship will strengthen and grow from respecting each other's beliefs. You don't want to celebrate the holidays, and he does. Maybe celebrate but take all pagan symbols out or give them different meanings. For example, at Christmas, we have what we call "Trinity Gifts" - the kids get 3 gifts under the tree to represent the trinity and to represent the gifts given by the Magi to the Christ child. For easter, we have "resurrection eggs" that tell the story of the death and resurrection. I'm sure that if you put your heads together respectfully, you can come up with a feasible solution that will make you both happy.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:10 PM on May. 21, 2009

• These are issues that you discuss before you get married. I am sorry that you have to deal with this now, it may help to have a neutral 3rd party help you negotiate this minefield, like a clergy person or couples counselor.
    Good luck, I hope that you can find a workable solution.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:11 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Thanks for that reminder, pagan_mama! I'd forgotten about those details! :-)
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:12 PM on May. 21, 2009

• If you want to be EXACTLY correct, Christmas is celebrated on the 25th of December, and the Pagan celebration of Yule is on the winter solstice, which is the 21st or 22nd of December. As long as you don't bring a tree into the house, set a star or lights on it, or put decorations of pine cones or cookies or bells on it, light a Yule log or have a feast, you could probably celebrate Christmas....
    For Easter, if you didn't celebrate with new clothes, or haveanything to do with rabbits, chickens or eggs, you could probably get by. Easter is a different date each year, set by the Passover date, which the bible says is the historicaly accurate day, since Jesus was crucified the Friday evening before the Passover. The Pagan celebration of Ostara is on the spring equinox which is on the 21st or 22nd of March.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:12 PM on May. 21, 2009

• december 25th is the birth of the sun god.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:19 PM on May. 21, 2009

• no i am not jehova;s witness seventh day adventist is what I think i am
    rhanford

• Okay, that's wierd, I read pagan_momma's post and replied and it ended up BEFORE her post?? Yikes . . .

Okay.

Wow, I didn't know that 7DA's believed that as well. You learn something new every day, LOL.

Well, where did you learn that? Are you going to a 7th day church or from somewhere else? You say you THINK you're 7th day, does that mean you're not certain? What do YOU believe in your heart (not what someone told you, what do YOU personally think about it).

If your not certain about what your faith is, try the belief - o - matic:

http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/BeliefOMatic.aspx

Sounds really silly, but trust me, it's very insightful to where your beliefs lie.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:29 PM on May. 21, 2009

• i believe the christian holidays have been planned on pagan holidays to help us bring back God, not to let Him get pushed aside so the pagans can celebrate.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 3:45 PM on May. 21, 2009

• You know what? I could care less what days they are on. We could celebrate Christmas on August 12th,and it wouldn't matter one iota. We are not celebrating WHEN Jesus was born, we are celebrating THAT He was born! Same with Easter. We could celebrate it on October 3rd,and I wouldn't care. Once again, we aren't celebrating that Jesus rose from the dead and gave us life everlasting,we are celebrating THAT He did! Exact dates don't matter in the least. It's the actual event we need to be celebrating.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 4:11 PM on May. 21, 2009