is it safe ----if u are a nurse especially

my daughter is 9 yrs old, 5ft tall and weighs 110 pounds.
is it safe to give her adult regular strength tylonal and motrin?/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Health

• I would think so, she is the size of some full sized adults.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 3:03 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Call a pharmacist.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:05 PM on May. 21, 2009

• My son takes regular tylenol. He takes one tablet every 4 hours, or every 6, whatever the time span on the bottle is. Stay away from aspirin until at least 12, but tylenol and motrin generally list a dosage for children aged 6-11. My son is substantially smaller than your daughter. He would grimace and shudder when I tried to give him the children's liquid because of the taste, so I started giving him the pills at about 6.5 Now, the extra strength needs to wait until 12.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:07 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I personally would not give it to her. She may be as tall as an average adult, but I'm sure her liver is not as developed as an average adult. Tylenol can affect your liver, and cause liver failure if overdosed. Consult her doctor or call a pharmacist.
    Lisa817

Answer by Lisa817 at 7:07 PM on May. 21, 2009

• P.S. I'm not a nurse, but I'm a medical assistant and had to take a course (and got an A FYI) in pharmacology. I hope this helps.
    Lisa817

Answer by Lisa817 at 7:08 PM on May. 21, 2009

• My son has been taking adult Advil for about 2 years now and he is just turning 13. He weighs 80 lbs. His doc told me that 4 of the junior strenght is the same as 1 adult Advil. Always ask the doc or pharmacist before giving it to your child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:55 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Like a previous poster said, stay away from aspirin until 12. As far as ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, ect.) and acetaminophen (Tylenol) goes, the dosages are weight based, not age based (with the exception of waiting until 6 months for ibuprofen). The drug is the same in infant, children, and adult. The only difference is the concentration and the form (liquid or pill).

Ibuprofen: A 110 lb child can have 250-500 mg every 6-8 hours
    Tylenol: A 110 lb child can have 325-650 mg every 6-8 hours not to exceed 4000 mg in 24 hours

I hope this helps.
    motheram

Answer by motheram at 11:18 PM on May. 24, 2009