How to help big brother adjust to new baby sister

kermits_mom

Asked by kermits_mom at 3:17 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Encourage him to be mommy's big helper and empthasize how much you really need his help. Let him hand you the diaper or wipe, etc. Also, I got my son a baby Elmo that he could bottle feed and change his diaper, so he had his own "baby". It's a hard transition no matter what, just make sure to stil have dedicated time for your son so he doesn't feel replaced by the baby.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 3:26 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Most hospitals offer sibling classes as part of their maternal/child education; contact your local hospital for information; if you are in Chicago, call me.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:31 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I bought my son a baby doll. We would put it in the crib. sing it songs, be gentle with it, etc. He even pushed it around in the stoller. I think it helped a little, but when she came, at the hospital he clearly said "Do we have to take her with us?" LOL
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:43 PM on May. 21, 2009